A Closer Look at French Onion Soup
French onion soup is one of the most popular soup recipes in restaurants. It is also one of the most simple to prepare. Traditional French onion soup is a combination of rich beef broth and sweet, caramelized onions, topped with French bread, and melted cheese.
This classic dish is a favorite in many countries for its perfectly contrasting flavors. The sweetness of the caramelized onions goes wonderfully with the sharpness of the cheese and the beef broth gives the soup a rich flavor.
The Basics in an Onion Soup Recipe
French onion soup starts with the onion and beef broth in oven safe soup bowls. Crusty croutons, which are covered in Gruyere cheese slices, are used to top the soup and then it is broiled until the cheese melts over the top.
Broth and onions are the onion soup basics but different recipes call for different ingredients and there are lots of kinds of onion soup recipes you can make.
French Onion Soup Cheese
Gruyere cheese is used in classic French onion soup recipes but you can use another kind of cheese if you prefer it or if you do not like gruyere. Gruyere cheese is a hard yellow cheese from Switzerland. It is sweet and slightly salty.
Some French onion soup recipes use mozzarella, cheddar, Jack cheese or even parmesan and the sharpness of cheese contrasts well with the natural sweetness of onion. For traditional French onion soup, cheese is a necessary topping but you can use your favorite cheese if you are not fond of Gruyere or if you cannot find it.
Making a Classic French Onion Soup Recipe
Caramelizing the onions is one of the most important steps to know about when learning how to make traditional French onion soup because this draws out the natural sugars, enhancing the onion flavor and sweetness.
Many chefs like to add a splash of sherry or cognac to the soup near the end of the caramelizing process to deglaze the pan and add even more flavor but this is not a necessary step and you will not find it in all French onion soup recipes.
You need fresh onions to make the best French onion soup and homemade beef broth is the best kind to use in this classic gourmet recipe. Once you have your broth and your onions, you will find that there are many types of French onion soup you can make, including vegan and vegetarian versions.
A vegetarian onion soup would use vegetable broth instead of beef broth and you can use vegan cheese for a vegan onion soup recipe. These versions might not be authentic French onion soup but there are lots of easy onion soups that are really flavorful and you do not have to stick closely to the classic French onion soup recipe.
Easy French Onion Soup Recipes for Beginners
If you are new to soup making, you can make an easy French onion soup by choosing an easy French onion soup recipe. French onion soup is basically onions, beef broth, bread, and cheese so this is not a difficult soup to make, although some onion soup recipes have a lot of different ingredients in.
Some of the best onion soup recipes are the simplest ones so if you are a novice cook, rather than a seasoned chef, you can make an easy French soup which is just as impressive as a more complex one.
Bon Appétit, and thanks for visiting,
Christine and Everyone here at Amazing Soup Recipes
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357386 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)