An Introduction to Onion Soup Recipes
Onion soup is one of the most popular soups ordered in restaurants and it is also delightfully simple to make at home. There are different types of onion soup, depending on your tastes and preferences, and you can make everything from an easy French onion soup to a complex onion soup recipe with plenty of herbs, wine, and flavors blending together perfectly.
Apart from the delicious flavor, another reason why onion soup is so popular is that it is very nutritious. Of course, the other ingredients you add to a French onion soup recipe such as wine, cheese, cream, or oil will change its nutritional values but onions are good for you.
The Truth about Onion Soup and Health
New research onions show that they might have health benefits rivaling garlic. Onions have been used for a long time to treat lung problems but it is now thought they can decrease allergy induced bronchial spasms in asthmatics and they also prevent bacterial lung infections.
Onions help to prevent harmful blood clots and they can reduce blood pressure and cholesterol. Onions reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, including colon cancer and stomach cancer. The results of one study showed that people who ate half an onion per day halved their risk of cancer. Red meat is thought to elevate your cancer risk and onions help to keep this risk down.
There are more flavanoids in stronger onions like New York Bold, Western Yellow, and Northern Red onions, these make them better antioxidants, and these varieties have greater anti-cancer activity.
Not only can onions lower your risk of cancer and improve heart and lung health but they taste great too and what better way to enjoy delicious onions than in a bowl of homemade French onion soup?
Which is the Best Loved Onion Soup?
Before you start making French onion soup, it is a good idea to look at the different types of onion soup recipes and choose one you think your family would like. If you are very busy but you still like to make homemade dinners, perhaps a crockpot French onion soup recipe or one of our quick and easy French onion soup recipes would be perfect.
If you have enjoyed a particularly delicious French onion soup in a restaurant, maybe you should try one of our French onion soup copycat recipes so you can make the exact same dish in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Different onion soup recipes appeal to different people, although most people would say that with their French onion soup cheese and croutons are necessary to finish off the dish. Beef broth is normally used in French onion soup but you can try chicken broth, vegetable broth or even turkey broth for a more unusual onion soup flavor.
Getting Creative with an Onion Soup Recipe
Onion soup is a dish you can be very imaginative with. Most vegetables go nicely with onion so perhaps you want to add some cabbage, broccoli or mushrooms to your French onion soup recipe, either because it needs to be used up or because you like the taste. Herbs go well too, so if you have some fresh sage, tarragon, parsley, or thyme, try adding some to bring out the sweet onion flavor.
You can experiment with different cheeses too. Traditional French onion soup recipes call for Gruyere but Stilton, cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan all go well with this dish. There is no right way or wrong way to make onion soup and as long as it is hot, rich and full of flavor, your family will love it.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357944 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)