Some Interesting Onion Soup Facts and Onion Facts
Onion Soup recipes are gaining popularity nowadays as more people discover this lively and exciting cuisine. Here are some interesting facts about onions, onion soup health and types of French onion soup, which you might not know:
Onions and Health
Onions contain a flavonoid canned quercetin, which is an antioxidant. Antioxidants slow or delay the damage to body tissues and cells caused by oxidization.
Onions are thought to reduce the risk of gastric ulcers, heart attack, stroke, and atherosclerosis, which is a cardiovascular disease.
Onions are a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and folic acid. They also contain iron and calcium. Onions are fat free and low in sodium.
How many calories in French onion soup? Each homemade recipe for French onion soup is different but there are approximately two hundred calories in one serving of canned French onion soup.
Types of Onions for French Onion Soup
Red onions can be used in French onions soup recipes but this type of onion does not keep as long as yellow or white ones. Red onions are also good grilled or used in salads.
White, red, or yellow onions can be dried. They are harvested once the top of the onion has gone brown and withered. Dried onions last a long time and you can rehydrate them for onion soup recipes.
Green onions are sold in the springtime in France. These are larger than scallions and are tasty chopped and served raw as a garnish for French onion soup, other soup recipes, and salads.
Maui onions, which are grown on the island of Maui in Hawaii, are golden yellow and very sweet. They have a high water content and are shaped like a flattened globe. Maui onions are the earliest sweet onion and you can get them from April. These are good for making onion rings as well as using in French onion soup.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358855 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90952 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52607 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41070 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29447 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26483 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23575 Views)