How to Carve a Pumpkin to Make a Pumpkin Soup Bowl
A lot of people learn how to carve a pumpkin to make jack-o-lanterns but there is another use for the pumpkin, after you have removed the flesh and seeds, and that is making a pumpkin soup bowl.
It is easy to carve a pumpkin and make a pumpkin soup bowl with it. You can serve cold foods like salad from the pumpkin or hot foods like stew or, better still, your favorite pumpkin soup recipe. These contains can hold up to a gallon of pumpkin soup.
Choose a flat-bottomed pumpkin to make a pumpkin bowl and put it on a stable surface, flat side down. Draw a line around the widest part, using a felt-tip pen, and make a handle by drawing a wide band across the pumpkin top, joining it to the midpoint line.
Carving the Bowl
Cut into the pumpkin with a sharp knife, in the space between the handle and the widest point. Cut towards the midpoint line. You might need to really hack at it because pumpkins are tough and thick. Cut away the excess pumpkin shell, following your drawn on guidelines. Remove the seeds and pulp, using a big metal spoon.
You will end up with a pumpkin bowl that looks like a big orange Easter basket. Coat the edge with vegetable oil so it looks fresh and shiny. If you do not want the handle, you can simply cut a lid off the pumpkin, about two thirds of the way up.
Serving Soup in a Pumpkin Bowl
You can either use one of the above cool ways to carve a pumpkin to make your bowl or use small pumpkins to make individual bowls. To make individual pumpkin soup serving bowls, cut the tops carefully from each pumpkin, in a straight line.
Scoop out the stringy mass and the seeds, taking care not to slice through the pumpkin flesh while you do this. Remove the pulp and seeds from the lids as well as the main body and cut a thin layer from the pumpkin bottoms, so they will sit flat.
Dam some lemon or lime juice over the cut surfaces of the pumpkin, to keep them from turning brown before you are ready to use them.
Reasons to Make a Pumpkin Soup Bowl
Soup in a pumpkin bowl is a lot of fun. Not only are pumpkin soup bowls easy to make but they really add to the festivities. Whether you are having a Halloween dinner, a dinner party or you simply want to do something fun for the kids, learning how to carve a pumpkin to make a pumpkin soup bowl is a great idea.
Why discard the pumpkin itself when you have removed the flesh? You can use the seeds for roasting, the flesh for making pumpkin soup and the rest to make your pumpkin soup bowl. Of course, you will need some pumpkin puree or additional pumpkin flesh from another pumpkin too, because you need to leave a thick wall in your pumpkin soup bowl, else it will not be strong enough to hold the soup.
You can serve any pumpkin soup recipe you like in a pumpkin soup bowl. Recipes for creamy pumpkin soups, a canned pumpkin soup recipe, or spicy pumpkin soup are all great.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Simple Chicken Stew Recipe in a Crock Pot
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
- An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
- Mixed Seafood Chowder with Crumbled Bacon
- Easy Recipe for How to Make Rabbit Stew
- Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
- Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- Insider Secrets to Storing Onions
- What to Serve with Beef Stew
- What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
- How to Thicken Potato Soup
- How to Caramelize Onions Like a Pro
- Can I Use New York Strip Steak for Stew?
- Five Common French Onion Soup Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Brown Stew Meat
- How Long is Potato Soup Good?
- The History of Onion Soup - The History of French Onion Soup
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Alphabet Soup Recipe November 7, 2013
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe November 7, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (77650 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (44567 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (38397 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (27087 Views)
- Home (25288 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (18021 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (17525 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (17105 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (11209 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (9293 Views)