How to Thicken Pea Soup
Ways to Thicken Pea Soup
Most cooks find that split pea soup tends to thicken on its own, since the peas cook almost to the point of disintegration while the soup simmers. Adding more liquid or fewer dried peas causes a watery soup and often leads to the question of how to thicken pea soup without interfering with the flavor. There are quite a few ways to thicken soup, most of which are suitable for all types of pea soup.
Realistically, some pea soups, especially those with whole peas and green pea pods like snow peas, are best as a broth. Most pea soups have substance, a result of following the recipe and slow cooking the soup over a simmering burner or flame. Following are a few of the methods used to thicken pea soup.
Flour – Put 3 tablespoons of flour into a cup and gradually add some of the warm liquid from the soup, stirring to make a paste. Add the mixture a spoonful at a time to the soup, stirring to avoid lumps.
Tapioca – If you have made tapioca pudding, you already know tapioca is a natural thickening agent. Add a tablespoon of regular tapioca to the soup to begin with. Add quick-cooking tapioca the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking.
Cornstarch – Put 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into a small bowl and add ¼ cup of liquid from the soup a spoonful at a time, mixing to avoid lumps. Stir the mixture into the soup a spoonful at a time to avoid lumps. The soup will thicken as it continues to simmer. Boiling causes cornstarch to break down.
Split Pea Bits – Grind a bag of split peas and store the tiny bits in an airtight container. When the soup is cooked, bring it back to a boil. Mix 3 tablespoons of the bits with 1/4 cup water and stir it into the soup. Lower the heat to simmer, continuing to stir. If the soup gets too thick, add a bit of water or stock to thin.
Increase the amount of potatoes, carrots, and celery in the recipe. After the soup is cooked, take out two cups of the veggies and peas. Let the veggies cool somewhat. Put them in the blender and puree. Stir the mixture back into the soup slowly.
Use yams or potatoes to thicken yellow or green pea soup. Peel and grate right into the soup. Let the soup simmer another 5 or 10 minutes. As an alternative, add a half cup of instant mashed potato flakes. Stir well and let the soup thicken.
Sour cream and yogurt come to mind and those are great ideas. Delicious cream adds richness and a wonderful pastel color. Several recipes call for cream. Other options are half-and-half and canned milk.
Hansel and Gretel left a trail of breadcrumbs so they could find their way home through the deep woods. Probably their mother intended to use the crumbs to thicken soup, as they work quite well for that purpose. Once the bread dries out, grind it in the blender or put it on a breadboard and use the rolling pin to break it into small pieces that will thicken the soup while combining with the mixture.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Simple Chicken Stew Recipe in a Crock Pot
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
- An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
- Mixed Seafood Chowder with Crumbled Bacon
- Easy Recipe for How to Make Rabbit Stew
- Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
- Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- Insider Secrets to Storing Onions
- What to Serve with Beef Stew
- What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
- How to Thicken Potato Soup
- How to Caramelize Onions Like a Pro
- Can I Use New York Strip Steak for Stew?
- Five Common French Onion Soup Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Brown Stew Meat
- How Long is Potato Soup Good?
- The History of Onion Soup - The History of French Onion Soup
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Alphabet Soup Recipe November 7, 2013
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe November 7, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (77608 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (44536 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (38313 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (27065 Views)
- Home (25244 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (18002 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (17521 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (17083 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (11201 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (9285 Views)