What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
So, you have stew meat in the freezer but you are not really in the mood for stew. That is okay. You cannot be in the mood for stew all the time. Luckily, there are lots of other things you can do with stew meat. There are also some things you should not do with it. Stew meat usually has a lot of connective tissue in it that only goes away through a long, slow, moist cooking method. Do not use it for kabobs, no matter how conveniently cubed they are. Do not use it for stir fries. Any cooking method that uses dry heat or cooks quickly will turn your stew meat into chew toys.
Stew-Like Dishes That Aren’t Stew
If you have some noodles and sour cream, you can make a very nice beef stroganoff. Add a splash of red wine to add depth to the beef broth. You could also serve it over white rice or mashed potatoes instead of noodles.
Another one pot meal is chili. Stew meat works wonderfully in chili. Make it with or without beans. Moreover, if you like it hot, lay on the chili peppers. Chili works well with corn bread, tortillas, or thick slabs of Texas Toast.
Try stews from other cuisines for a change of pace. Beef rendang is a delicious dish from Malaysia full of exotic spices. Vindaloo is another stew, this time from India, or you could make a Moroccan tagine full of beef, fruit, and spices. Curry dishes work nicely to create a change of pace from stew.
Changing the Meat
One thing you can do is grind up the meat into hamburger. This is not hard to do if you have a food processor or meat grinder. Once it is ground up, you can use it to make any hamburger recipe you want. Make patties, add it to a casserole, or make a gravy. There are lots of ways to use the stew meat once it is not in large chunks.
You can also give it a coarse chop instead of grinding the meat. This would make the meat suitable for many Mexican dishes from enchiladas to tacos. This would also work well for goulash, which can be served on top of almost anything, including potatoes, noodles, or rice.
Cut the stew meat into smaller pieces and let it simmer in broth to make a soup. Add vegetables and your starch of choice to make a delicious soup. Borscht would be a wonderful ethnic change of pace for soup.
Simple and Comforting
Of course, you can always simply braise the meat and serve it with gravy over potatoes or rice. Remember that stew meat needs a long, slow cooking process to make it tender, so this would work well in the slow cooker. Another good idea would be to make Swiss steak. This is merely beef pieces slowly braised in a tomato based sauce. It is a wonderful way to enjoy some tender beef without making stew.
Round out your choices with some delicious side dishes and you are all set for a great meal. Remember that the crockpot can be your best friend when you are cooking stew meat for a recipe other than stew.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Simple Chicken Stew Recipe in a Crock Pot
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
- An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
- Mixed Seafood Chowder with Crumbled Bacon
- Easy Recipe for How to Make Rabbit Stew
- Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
- Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- Insider Secrets to Storing Onions
- What to Serve with Beef Stew
- What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
- How to Thicken Potato Soup
- How to Caramelize Onions Like a Pro
- Can I Use New York Strip Steak for Stew?
- Five Common French Onion Soup Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Brown Stew Meat
- How Long is Potato Soup Good?
- The History of Onion Soup - The History of French Onion Soup
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Alphabet Soup Recipe November 7, 2013
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe November 7, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (77650 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (44567 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (38397 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (27087 Views)
- Home (25288 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (18021 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (17525 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (17105 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (11209 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (9293 Views)