The Best New England Clam Chowder Recipe
Because cream is the main ingredient in clam chowder, this dish needs some help in the flavor department, to add contrast. Bacon is especially nice in creamy recipes and that is true whether you are making a creamy pasta dish or a creamy soup. You can switch the bacon for ham in this recipe if you prefer it. The black pepper, clam juice and, of course, the clams themselves, add plenty of wonderful taste to this traditional chowder recipe.
There are many different clam chowder recipes that you can choose from but this one has a great texture and flavor so you will not be disappointed. Garnish it however you like, with some minced or chopped fresh herbs or even a few croutons. Crusty bread is also nice with a New England clam chowder recipe, if you want to serve some on the side.
This recipe is really easy because it is simply a case of cooking the bacon and onions, boiling the potatoes, and then combining those ingredients with the others until the soup is done to perfection. Using canned clams is simpler than using fresh ones and the flavor will be just as nice.
- 4 diced slices bacon
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 3 cups Half & Half
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
- 20 oz can minced clams
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are tender, and then drain them.
- Add the butter, water, and the Half & Half to the potatoes and stir.
- Sauté the bacon until it is nearly crisp, then add the onions and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Drain the clams and keep the liquid.
- Stir the bacon, onions, clams and ½ their liquid into the potato mixture. Cook for 5 minutes without letting it boil.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture if you want the chowder to be thicker.
- Garnish with parsley.
This creamy soup smells beautiful and you will be able to identify the clam and bacon aromas emanating from it, which will make your mouth water before you have even tasted the chowder. New England clam chowder is always a popular choice because the flavors are well balanced and its thickness gives it a comfort food appeal. Served al fresco with a bread roll and a glass of chilled white wine, New England clam chowder makes a wonderful lunch or dinner. It is suitable for any occasion or season and you will love how the different flavors all combine so well.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357824 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23569 Views)