Creamy Corn Pumpkin Crab Soup
This corn pumpkin crab soup is delightfully simple to prepare and the flavor is wonderful. You can use two pounds of canned pumpkin puree rather than the fresh pumpkin if it is out of season. Also, feel free to use imitation crabmeat if fresh crab is difficult to get or out of your budget. This pumpkin soup recipe is delicious with the crab flavor, no matter which kind of crab you use to make it.
This is a lightly spiced pumpkin soup and the cayenne, dill or basil, paprika, cumin and nutmeg add an earthiness to the overall taste without overpowering the flavor of the crab or corn. The cream is optional and if you do not like recipes for creamy pumpkin soups, you might want to leave it out.
This delicious pumpkin soup recipe is a great appetizer before a Chinese meal, a tasty lunch, or a warming treat any time you want a bowl of something comforting. You will find this corn pumpkin crab soup simple to make and wonderful to eat. Although corn and pumpkin are not found together in many soup recipes because corn chowder is one popular kind of soup and pumpkin soup is another, they do go together very nicely. Corn is naturally sweet, the same as pumpkin, which is why the recipe features onion, cumin and other savory ingredients, to balance out all the sweetness. Serve this just as it is or perhaps add some toasted bread on the side or some croutons on top. First you need to roast the pumpkin then scoop out the flesh to make this flavorful chowder. Use canned pumpkin if you must but freshly roasted pumpkin is so much nicer.
Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Crab and Corn
Summary: Corn and pumpkin are the superstar ingredients in this soup, and their flavors are highlighted by the cream, crabmeat and spices. Serve this when you wish to impress.
- 3 lbs fresh pumpkin
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or dried basil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 oz heavy cream
- ¾ lb fresh or imitation crabmeat, in ½ inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Dice the pumpkin flesh, leaving the skin on, and bake it at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Peel the skin off.
- Heat the oil in a skillet or frying pan and sauté the onion for about 6 minutes. Add the nutmeg, paprika, cumin, cayenne and dill or basil. Stir for a minute, and then add the chicken broth and pumpkin.
- Simmer the pumpkin soup uncovered for 20 minutes, and then puree it in the blender in batches.
- Return it to the pot and add the crab meat and corn.
- Let the soup simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in the cream and season it with more salt if necessary and some freshly ground black pepper.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Add some greenery on top as an extra garnish if you wish, or just serve the soup as it is. It is thick enough to support croutons or whatever topping you wish to add. You can see in the picture that it is a thick, rich pumpkin soup recipe and the corn looks beautiful on top. These flavors are magnificent together and this recipe is a keeper. Preparation is very easy too and although the ingredients list is not as short as with similar recipes, this one is well worth making because the flavor is exquisite and it is a very special chowder.
Leave a Reply
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (81364 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53285 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47325 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (30134 Views)
- Home (29811 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (19795 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (18752 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18408 Views)
- Stew Articles (13685 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12188 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (11946 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (9990 Views)