Vanilla and Orange Seafood Kabobs with Mexican Chowder
This fantastic recipe combines two delicious elements, namely corn chowder and shellfish. The corn chowder is thick and hearty, and blends ingredients like corn, chilies, spices, and chicken broth. The resulting chowder is creamy and delicious, although quite low in fat. The shellfish kabobs are created by marinating shrimp and scallops in a vanilla and orange mixture, then grilling them to perfection.
The smoky flavor from the grill really resonates with the seafood, giving it a magnificent finish, although you can use the broiler if your grill is out of commission or the weather is not up to outdoor cooking. The chowder is decorated with fire-roasted tomatoes and a sprinkling of cilantro, and the meal is rounded out with a few warmed tortillas. Either corn or flour tortillas would be good.
The typical south of the border ingredients in this corn chowder and grilled shellfish recipe give it an authentic Mexican taste, since tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, corn and chilies feature in many of Mexico’s dishes. Your palate will be in chowder heaven when you taste this excellent meal. Although there are quite a few steps to this recipe, it is well worth making. There might be a lot to do but nothing is especially difficult, and this is not a dish your taste buds will forget in a hurry.
- 8 large sea scallops
- 8 peeled, deveined, tail-on large shrimp
- 3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Zest and juice of a small orange
- 16 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 vanilla bean
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 4 cups fresh or thawed corn kernels
- 8 oz canned green chilies, drained and diced
- ½ cup Half & Half
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray, as needed
- 4 warm tortillas, to serve
- Put the scallops and shrimp in a dish.
- Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean.
- Combine the orange zest and juice with the vanilla seeds, and then brush this over the shell fish.
- Let this mixture stand at room temperature while you prepare the chowder.
- Use cooking spray to coat a pot and heat it over a moderately high heat.
- Add the onion, corn, chilies, garlic, oregano, and cumin.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the chowder to a boil.
- Turn the heat right down and simmer it for 15 minutes.
- Use a stick blender or a regular blender to puree the chowder.
- Return it to the pot and stir in 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, and the Half & Half.
- Keep the chowder warm.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Season the shellfish with salt and black pepper and coat it with cooking spray.
- Thread on to skewers and grill it over a medium heat for a couple of minutes per side, or until just cooked through.
- If you do not have skewers, use a grilling basket.
- Alternatively you can broil it under a medium heat.
- Divide the chowder into 4 bowls and add the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the remaining coriander over the top.
- Serve immediately, with the shellfish and tortillas.
For the best results, stick closely to the ingredients list, opting for Mexican oregano, fresh vanilla, fire-roasted tomatoes, and so forth. The finished dish will boast all these great flavors and you will be glad you used superior ingredients for this. When you look at the photo, you can see at once that this is an elegant, special, and unique meal. This is a spectacular way to present shellfish. Keep the chowder warm while you cook the kabobs by leaving it over a very low flame, and warm up the tortillas on the grill or under the broiler, so that everything is piping hot when served.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358925 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195563 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90953 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52607 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41072 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29449 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26483 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23575 Views)