Creamy Salmon Chowder Recipe
This soup has a luxurious feel but it is also quite light because it does not contain thickeners. The cream and bacon are what makes it so indulgent and rich. This salmon corn chowder contains potatoes, scallions, cream, milk, fish and more, for a delicious flavor and texture. If you enjoy making chowder recipes, you will really love this one. There are more ingredients in it than in some other easy fish recipes but this one is well worth making.
The salmon skin garnish is unusual enough to add plenty of appeal to this recipe. You can serve salmon skin as a snack or use it to garnish easy fish recipes. Use some olive oil and lemon to give the salmon skin a Greek taste, some thyme and butter for a French taste, some cayenne and bacon fat for Cajun flavor or some smoked paprika and olive oil for a taste of Spain.
Stir the salmon skin frequently as you cook it so it does not stick to the pan. The skin takes up to fifteen minutes to become firm so be patient. Drain it on paper towels when it is done. The recipe uses the skin from one salmon so you will only need about a third of it to garnish your soup. Save the rest for snacks.
- ½ lb sliced bacon, in ¼ inch wide strips
- ½ lb red potatoes, in ½ inch cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups chopped scallions
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 ½ lb skinned salmon filet, in 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- For the Salmon Skin Garnish:
- Skin from 1 salmon
- Vegetable oil
- Sesame oil (or another flavored oil)
- First make the garnish. Slice the de-scaled salmon skin into quarter inch strips from top to bottom (so from back to belly, not from head to tail). Toss the fish skin in a bowl with a couple of tablespoons of salt, then set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Pat the fish skin dry with a paper towel. Fill a frying pan with oil so it comes ¾ inch up the pan sides.
- Add a little flavored oil (perhaps sesame oil or similar) and turn the heat up to moderately high. Cook the fish skin until it is crisp, then let it cool on a wire rack.
- Cook the potatoes in a big pot of boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until they are just tender. Drain them in a colander and set them to one side.
- Cook the bacon in a 5 quart pot for 8 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Transfer it to paper towels to drain.
- Pour all except 2 tablespoons of the fat out of the pot, then cook the bay leaf, thyme, corn, garlic, red pepper flakes and scallions in the pot, over a low to medium heat, for 5 minutes or until the scallions are tender.
- Add the cream and milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the salmon, potatoes, fish, salt and pepper. Cook the soup, stirring it occasionally, until the fish is cooked through. This will take about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf and serve the chowder garnished with the crispy fried salmon skin.
As you can see from the picture, the fried salmon skin makes an unusual and attractive garnish. Salmon and corn chowder is a hearty and warming dish and the addition of bacon and cream makes it really luxurious. You might think that combining bacon and fish is unusual but the bacon gives the chowder a smoky, meaty flavor which is so good. Try wrapping a whole fish in bacon and then steaming it if you want to know just how wonderful fish and bacon are together, or try some bacon-wrapped shrimp! This fish chowder recipe is easy to make but very impressive and elegant too.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357376 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)