Fish Lover’s Tuna and Halibut Chowder
Fish chowder is always a good way of using mixed fish filets, because you can throw any kind of fish or seafood in there, and it goes well with anything else you add. Here we suggest using tuna and halibut, but feel free to use any fish you want, such as salmon, cod or other whitefish, just so long as it is skinless and boneless. We are also using shrimp in this recipe to add a contrasting flavor and color to the dish.
The soup is made creamy by adding Half & Half to it, but you can use milk instead if you prefer. If you want to use milk, then add ¾ cup of butter to the soup so you still get a velvety texture. When the soup is done, it might be too runny. If you find that to be the case, then combine 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and a cup of water. Drizzle this into the chowder, stirring it gently all the time. Some people like to add a can of cream of mushroom soup to the chowder too, which is a nice idea if you have some in the cupboard.
This is a wonderful dish for the fall or winter, when the weather is changing and you are craving something warm and hearty. Making a fish chowder is really easy. You simply need to add the ingredients to the pot in the correct order, then add your choice of fish and/or seafood near the end, because that only takes a few minutes to cook. This recipe includes bacon for a salty, meaty flavor which is great with the fish, and also celery, onion and potato, herbs, spices, and Half & Half. This recipe makes enough for 10 servings, but it keeps in the refrigerator for a couple of days so you can enjoy it for a few days in a row if you want. Alternatively just halve the recipe if 10 servings is more than you want to make.
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 6 chopped medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb halibut, in 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb tuna, in 1-inch cubes
- 4 oz canned or thawed corn
- 20 peeled, deveined medium shrimp
- 2½ - 3 quarts Half & Half
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh herbs and/or paprika, for garnish (optional)
- Cook and crumble the bacon, saving 2 tablespoons of the grease.
- Sauté the onions in the bacon grease in a large, heavy pot for 5 minutes or until they are tender but not brown.
- Add the potatoes, celery, bacon, basil, parsley, and lemon pepper seasoning.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Cook until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Add the tuna and halibut.
- You can add the corn too, if using.
- Simmer until the fish is cooked.
- You will see the fish change color and start to flake, so you can tell when it is cooked.
- A couple of minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the shrimp too.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and/or ground paprika if liked.
Knowing how to make a tasty chowder is always worthwhile, because few dishes are as hearty or satisfying. You can use thawed or fresh fish in here, as you prefer. You might also want to add some corn or a can of cream of mushroom soup. In the photo you can see we have arrange the shrimp on top, because they are colorful, and we also added a sprig of thyme and a sprinkling of paprika. These touches are optional, but it is a nice way to present the soup. Offer crusty bread or saltine crackers on the side if you want.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357991 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)