24 Hour Semi Homemade Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
If you have twenty four hours to make this wonderful French onion soup recipe, it is highly recommended. Cooking in a slow cooker, or a crockpot, gives a wonderful depth of flavor to most recipes and cooking the onions slowly in the sherry overnight gives this dish a fantastic richness.
The combination of yellow onions, shallots, sweet onions, green onions, and leek adds plenty of variety to this onion soup recipe and the French onion soup cheese here is mozzarella and Provolone, although you could be more traditional and use Gruyere if you prefer.
This is a very easy recipe for French onion soup since you basically just add the ingredients to the slow cooker and let them cook. The timings are flexible. If you cook the soup for ten or twelve hours, rather than following the times in the recipe exactly, it will not make a lot of difference to the finished French onion soup.
Of course, French onion soup is usually a stovetop dish, at least the original recipe is, but there is no reason you cannot experiment. Many dishes come out better in the slow cooker anyway, because of that long, slow cooking. If you have never tried a crockpot onion soup before, give this one a go and enjoy its rich, smooth flavor blend. Once you have sampled this you might want to make all your future French onion soups in the crockpot.
- 4 chopped shallots
- 3 chopped Vidalia onions
- 3 chopped yellow onions
- 5 minced cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 chopped leek
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ? cup plus 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 10 slices toasted French bread, cubed
- 4 tablespoons beef base (good quality, no cubes)
- 10 slices Mozzarella
- 10 slices Provolone cheese
- Combine the onions, garlic, leek, and shallots in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of the sherry and the sugar.
- Put this mixture in a slow cooker with the butter and some salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low overnight or for 8 hours.
- Add the broth, beef base, the rest of the sherry and some more seasoning and turn the heat up to high.
- Cook it for another 8 hours.
- Just before, serving the French onion soup, preheat the broiler and ladle the soup into serving dishes.
- Put the bread in the soup and top with a slice of mozzarella and a slice of Provolone.
- Broil until the cheese is golden brown and then serve.
Whether you are a newbie to French onion soup recipes or someone who makes this classic dish often, you might be interested in trying out a crockpot recipe for it. No more having to watch a pot on the stove in case it boils dry or bubbles over, and no more having to watch a bunch of pots all at the same time and getting your kitchen overheated. Instead, use your slow cooker to prepare this mouthwatering soup and just add the crouton and cheese before broiling and serving. This dish could not be simpler or less stressful to put together.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358822 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90952 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52607 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41068 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29444 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26483 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23575 Views)