Budget Crockpot Recipes
One particular kitchen staple that every kitchen contains and should contain is the onion. Onions, with the scientific name, Allium cepa, is known through a number of names. It is known as the common onion, bulb onion and garden onion. The lovely onions are known to be one of the primary ingredients when making delicious dishes.
There are also some dishes that make use of onion as the main ingredient such as in onion soup or onion chutney. Onions are also used when making certain cold salads. Did you know that onions are also eaten as a snack? Onions that are pickled in vinegar are usually served as a simple snack. In Australia as well as in the United Kingdom, onions are served as a side dish alongside cheese and fish and chips. However, the pickled style onions are widely eaten in Eastern Europe.
Normally, fresh, uncooked onions have a distinct pungent and persistent taste that many people find very irritating. Nevertheless, when cooked, the onions become less pungent and taste sweet. The onion has been a source of food for thousands of years. History reveals that the use of onion dates back since 5000 BC.
The evidences found were onion remains that were discovered beside fig and date stones. However, there is no clear proof when man started to cultivate onions. The Book of Numbers Chapter 11 verse 5 reveals that onion cultivation probably began in ancient Egypt during the time that garlic and leeks were cultivated as well. It was also revealed that the people who helped build the Egyptian pyramids were fed with onions and radishes.
Did you know that the ancient Egyptians worshipped it? They believed that the onion represents eternal life because of it spherical shape and the concentric rings it contains. These onions were even part of the traditions of the Egyptians when burying the dead. There were onion traces that were discovered in the eye sockets of Ramesses IV due to their high regard and belief regarding onions. Another amazing trivia about the onion is that it is the only one that Egyptian artists carved using precious gold.
Presently, onions continue to amaze us of its many uses. When you think about preparing a recipe that features onions, it would be easier if you go and take out your crockpot. Cooking onions in crockpot will make it easier for you to create this dish since all you have to do is to add in all the ingredients and wait for it to cook. This is one of the Best Crockpot Recipes that you can try out for yourself. Among the many Crockpot Recipes out there, this is one you of the simplest yet most delicious.
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 4 pieces of onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 4 slices of French bread (buttered)
- ½ cup ounces of unsalted butter
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup of sherry
- ¾ cup of Romano cheese (shredded)
- Take out a frying pan and add in the butter.
- Sauté the onions until they become glazed and limp.
- Then, take out your crockpot and transfer them inside.
- Mix in white wine, beef stock, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and sherry.
- Set the crockpot on low setting and allow it to cook for 6 to 8 hours.
- Make sure to cover the crockpot while cooking. In the meantime, get a baking sheet and place the French bread on it.
- Sprinkle it with some cheese.
- Place the bread under the broiler.
- Allow it to toast for a few minutes.
- Serve the onion soup with your French bread.
Onion soup is one of the easiest things to cook in your slow cooker. Sauté the onions first, then into the crockpot they can go, along with the other ingredients in this tasty dish. The long cooking time will coax all the sweet flavor out of the onions and encourage every flavor to blend with the others. The result is a really delicious soup which is cheap to make but tastes just as good as something you would be served in a top French restaurant. The cheese croutons go beautifully with the onion soup.
Photo Credit: 100_9367 by AlishaV, on Flickr
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (366744 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195580 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (91103 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54683 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52680 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41142 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40879 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29565 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26521 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23607 Views)