Chunky Lamb Bone Soup
This dish might look complicated and time-consuming to make because of all the chopping and browning you need to do but the finished meal is well worth the effort. This recipe makes a huge amount of lamb soup and you can either use a big stock pot or a big slow cooker to make it. Alternatively you can cut the ingredient amounts in half.
Browning the vegetables and lamb before adding them to your crockpot adds lot of extra flavor which you will taste in the finished soup. Actually this is like a cross between a soup and a stew. You will need to eat it with a spoon and warm pita bread served on the side for dunking is a must! You can use diced lamb chops instead of shanks if you want to, although shanks tend to give a better result.
The larger your crockpot the more water you will be able to fit into it, with the other ingredients. Obviously the more water you add, the more soup-like and less stew-like this will become. Do not fill your crockpot right to the brim. If you have a smaller crockpot, halve all the ingredient amounts instead.
- 3 sliced yellow onions
- 4 lamb shanks, in 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons each black pepper, ground cumin, coriander, and ground cinnamon
- 3 chopped celery stalks
- 4 chopped carrots
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 chopped leeks
- 2 tablespoons stock concentrate
- ½ cup red lentils
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Plain yogurt, to serve
- ½ cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- ½ cup haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1 pinch saffron
- 14 ½ oz can chopped tomatoes
- Water, as needed
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh parsley sprigs, to garnish
- Brown the lamb in some of the oil, then transfer them to the crockpot and sprinkle salt and pepper over them.
- Heat the rest of the oil and sauté the garlic, onion, vegetables, saffron, and spices together for a few minutes.
- Add this mixture to the crockpot, along with the stock, beans, barley, tomatoes, lentils, chickpeas, caraway seeds and as much water as you can fit in there.
- Cook for 4 to 6 hours on high or 10 to 12 hours on low.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice, a spoonful of yogurt, and some fresh parsley sprigs on top.
As the picture shows, this delicious lamb stew contains lots of different textures and colors. The fresh parsley is a nice touch, although chopped fresh cilantro or mint would also suit this crockpot lamb stew recipe. If you are looking for something filling and rich which will serve a lot of people, this slow cooker lamb stew is ideal. Blending all kinds of healthy ingredients like lentils and beans with fresh vegetables and lamb results in a filling meal which you will love because it is not difficult to make. There is a fair amount of preparation involved but once the mixture is in the slow cooker it will cook itself without being watched.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357396 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)