Fragrant Thai Chicken Soup with Cilantro
This soup features tender chicken, mushrooms and onions, and delicious, aromatic Thai seasonings like fish sauce, ginger and lime. A similar recipe appeared not so long ago on America’s Test Kitchen but we have tweaked the recipe a little and prefer this version because it is simpler yet still every bit as delicious.
First the onions, ginger and garlic are sautéed to bring out their flavors and then they go into the crockpot with the seasoned chicken and most of the other ingredients. Allow it to cook undisturbed for about 5 hours then check to see if the chicken is tender and cooked through. It is important not to lift the lid of the crockpot because a crockpot cooks by building up steam inside and if you lift the lid all the steam and heat whooshes out and has to build up again, so resist the urge to peek!
If you prefer, you can use chicken breast in this recipe. Just ensure it is the boneless, skinless kind. We prefer thighs because they seem to offer a richer flavor, but when you are making this you can use whichever you prefer. Some people like to add sliced carrot to the recipe which would go well and add extra color, so that is something to consider. This is an aromatic and beautifully flavored chicken soup in the traditional Thai style.
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 minced onions
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 (14 oz) cans coconut milk
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 10 cilantro stems, tied together with twine
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sauté the onions, ginger and garlic in the oil in a pan for 5 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Transfer to the crockpot.
- Add the broth, lime leaves, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, cilantro stems and 1 can of the coconut milk.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper and add to the crockpot.
- Cover and cook for 5 hours on low or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and chop or shred into small pieces.
- Leave the soup to sit for 5 minutes then skin off the fat from the surface.
- Discard the skimmed fat and cilantro stems.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk and the mushrooms.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes on high or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in the shredded chicken, the lemon juice, hot sauce, white sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro leaves if liked (you can reserve those when you make the tied-together stem bundle).
This stunning soup is incredibly well flavored. There might be more ingredients in the recipe than you would normally find in a chicken soup recipe but, believe me, the taste of this is well worth it. In the photo you can see this is a light-colored soup, and you can also spot the pieces of chicken, lime leaves and mushrooms floating in there. You might like to serve this with cilantro leaves scattered on top, or you can serve the soup without. It is up to you. It is also your choice whether you chop or shred the chicken. It just depends how chunky or smooth you want it. This is not a pureed soup but you can have small or large chunks as you wish.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357621 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)