Healthy Crockpot Vegetable Soup
This wonderful soup is great with a spinach salad and grilled cheese sandwiches on whole wheat bread. You might want to adapt the basic recipe and there are various ways of doing this. Add some white kidney beans, chopped kale, and Italian seasoning for a Tuscan touch, or some black beans, chopped cilantro and cumin for a south of the border feel. Serve with a quesadilla, or with cheese and tortilla chips.
Perhaps you fancy fall vegetable soup, in which case you could add some butternut squash or acorn squash, some parsley, nutmeg and brown rice, or add some pasta, Parmesan cheese and basil for an Italian minestrone soup. Perhaps you can think up some more variations too. You can also throw in some hot sauce for spiciness, some chopped sausage, or bacon for a meaty touch, or even some shrimp or chopped chicken to make it more substantial.
This is a colorful and appealing soup and it is also a very healthy crockpot soup recipe. Boasting plenty of vegetables, this soup also contains thyme, garlic, olive oil, and chicken broth, so it is very healthy and offers plenty of vitamins and minerals from the vegetables.
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ¼ head chopped broccoli
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, not drained (14 oz each)
- 8 chopped mushrooms
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 peeled, chopped Russet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ head chopped cabbage
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat half the oil in a big pot over a moderately high head.
- Sauté the onion until almost translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another couple of minutes, without letting the garlic or onion brown.
- Add the remaining vegetables with the remaining oil and sauté for 2 minutes.
- The aim is to bring out the flavors here, not cook the vegetables through.
- Add the thyme, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Transfer the contents of the pot to the crockpot, along with the broth and tomatoes.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours.
- Mash some of the potato chunks against the crockpot side just before serving, to make the soup thicker.
- Stir and serve.
This lovely soup boasts a mixture of different colors and it is this colorful look that makes this soup so endearing and appealing. You can see all the perfectly cooked vegetables in this thick, chunky soup, and it is a great fall or winter meal, especially when accompanied by a grilled cheese sandwich or another side dish. You could serve this for lunch or dinner and the finished soup keeps for a few days in the refrigerator. It also freezes well so if ten portions sounds like too much for your family, do not forget you can freeze it in portions and reheat it in a pan on the stove when you are ready for more.
3 Responses to Healthy Crockpot Vegetable Soup
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357406 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)