Hearty Beef and Bean Crockpot Soup
This is a really hearty recipe and one bowl of this equates to a full meal because it is filling and delicious. The recipe calls for stewing beef, or braising beef, but you can use ground beef if you want, using a wooden spoon to break up chunks while it is sautéing. The beef is the main ingredient in this tasty soup, so if you see some stewing beef or ground beef on sale, grab it and this will work out as an economical soup as well as a lovely-flavored one.
Once the beef is browned it can go into the crockpot with the other ingredients and then you can cook it until the soup is done, adding some cabbage an hour before the end. If you like, add some spinach when you add the cabbage, for more nutrients. The other ingredients in the recipe are also changeable, so you can mix and match, using any veggies in your salad drawer you want to put in, or swap the herbs and spices for a new twist on the flavor.
This soup can be left to cook all day while you are at work. If you wish to do that, brown and rinse the beef the night before, as well as chopping the vegetables and mincing the garlic. Store the prepared ingredients in containers in the refrigerator rather than in the slow cooker crock. You do not want that to be chilled in case it cracks when it is suddenly faced with heat. In the morning you can just put everything in the crockpot and flip the switch. This hearty beef soup freezes well. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat in the microwave or in a pan on the stove. You can serve this with sour cream if you like, or with some shredded parmesan. Sprigs of fresh herbs would enhance the presentation.
- 1 lb chopped stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ chopped yellow onion
- 1 finely chopped carrot
- 14 oz can vegetable broth
- 7 oz can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 14 oz can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1½ cups water
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 14 oz diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 chopped fresh tomatoes
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chopped, thinly sliced cabbage
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Fresh herb sprigs such as thyme or rosemary, to serve (optional)
- Sour cream and/or parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the beef until browned.
- Drain off the fat.
- Add the beef to a 4-quart crockpot (or similar size).
- Add the onion, carrot, garlic, canned and fresh tomatoes, stock, broth, water, herbs, vinegar, and beans.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low, or until the beef is almost tender.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 1 hour on high or until tender.
- Taste and add more vinegar if necessary.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh herb sprigs if liked.
If you want to serve soup for dinner and not be hungry afterwards, choose this delicious beef and vegetable crockpot soup recipe. All you need to do after browning the beef is put all the ingredients into your slow cooker and let it work its magic, coaxing wonderful flavors out of the ingredients and mellowing the flavor. Add a dollop of sour cream or some parmesan flakes to the finished soup, and add herb sprigs for an attractive presentation if you like. Serve crusty bread on the side to round out the meal. We recommend doubling the recipe if you have a large crockpot, then you can freeze half.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357960 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)