Sweet Red Pepper Soup with Cajun Spice
There are two great reasons for grilling bell peppers. First of all, like with many grilled vegetable recipes, grilling makes the peppers succulent, juicy and adds a subtle yet pleasant smoky flavor. Secondly, when you grill bell peppers, then let them sweat in a paper bag, the skin is simple to remove. Perhaps you have tried green pepper soup before but this red pepper soup is sweeter and the additional of Cajun spice, thyme, and basil gives a fresh herby flavor to the dish. Tomatoes, garlic, and onion add more flavor and you can use croutons and an herb oil, such as basil oil, too add texture, color and flavor to the finished pepper soup.
This delicious bell pepper soup recipe has a real gourmet flavor, thanks to the grilling process and also the addition of garlic, thyme, Cajun seasoning and more. Some grilled soup recipes are deliberately quite plain, to let the flavor of the grilled vegetables shine through, and others are spiced up but not too much else you would not be able to taste the grilled vegetables as clearly.
The Cajun seasoning goes beautifully with the tomatoes, onion, garlic and other ingredients and if you sip this soup, you could almost imagine yourself in New Orleans, enjoying the warm weather and the typical food. Soup is a comfort food anyway, a warming dish which is guaranteed to put a smile on your face, and this grilled bell pepper soup recipe is capable of doing just that with its complex and mouthwatering flavors.
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- 10 leaves basil, in thin strips
- 2 cups water
- 2 oz chicken base
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 lbs red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Croutons to serve
- Chopped fresh basil or herb oil to serve
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over a medium high heat, and then add the rest of the oil, the onion, and garlic.
- Sauté until translucent.
- Grill the peppers over an open flame until they are charred, and then put them in a paper bag to sweat.
- When they are cool, the skin should peel off easily. Remove the seeds too. Puree the bell peppers then add them to the garlic and onions.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, water, and chicken base and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the thyme, basil,
- Cajun spice, salt and pepper and puree the soup through a food processor or blender.
- Serve hot with croutons.
- You might also like to sprinkle chopped fresh basil over the top or some herb infused oil, which will sit on top of the soup and add color.
If you have tried red or green pepper soup before, you will know how the sweet peppers combine well with other ingredients to make a full-flavored and delicious soup. Bell peppers are used in many different cuisines and they are fantastic soup ingredients too. In this recipe, the sweetness of the bell peppers is enhanced even more by grilling them before preparing the soup. You can see from the picture that this is a very appealing and colorful soup and it is actually one of the tastiest grilled soups of all. Serve this pepper soup for lunch or as an appetizer and watch the smiles spread over everyone’s faces.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358589 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90950 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41065 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26483 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)