Basic Barley and Vegetable Soup
This is one of our heartiest, tastiest soups. It is also one of the simplest to make because all you need to do is add everything to a pot, give it a stir, then leave the soup to cook. This makes it a wonderful option for soup-making beginners who are looking for a very basic soup recipe. Anyone can manage to make this soup and you can tweak the ingredients if you wish.
Take a look in your vegetable drawer and use anything past its prime in this soup. Do you have some mushrooms, eggplant, bell peppers, or other veggies to use up? If so you can add any of those. We are using barley here, which is a healthy grain. Not only is it low-glycemic and high in insoluble and soluble fiber, but it is also a good source of vitamin E, niacin, B-vitamins, and phyto-chemicals. Barley offers a nutty, earthy flavor and slightly chewy texture. It pairs beautifully with the vegetables in this simple soup recipe.
As well as the barley and vegetables, we are using cumin, garlic, tomato paste, paprika, dill weed, and some kidney beans to make the soup rich and hearty. You can serve this with crusty bread if you like, or else just serve it as it is because the barley makes it hearty and filling. Enjoy this soup for lunch or dinner, and serve it to the kids. Even fussy kids should enjoy this thick, rich soup. Why not add a handful of grated cheese on top to make it extra-tempting for them? Because you can use up all your leftover vegetables in this soup and use whatever herbs and spices you have, you will find it an economic choice. Do you want to make this in the crockpot? That is also fine, and will take about 6 hours on low.
- ½ cup uncooked barley
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 chopped celery stalk
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 diced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped cauliflower
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- 1 diced carrot
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 6 cups hot water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 15½ oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Put all the ingredients into a pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir well so everything is well mixed.
- Turn the heat down and cover the pot.
- Simmer the soup for 50 minutes or until everything is tender.
- You can add more water if the soup gets too thick.
- Adjust the seasonings and serve hot.
If you are looking for a thick, rich, chunky soup, this hearty blend should tick all the boxes. Boasting barley, vegetables and all kinds of flavorful seasonings, a bowlful of this is sure to put a smile on your face whether you are enjoying it for lunch or dinner. The colorful veggies, chewy barley and other ingredients come together to make the most delicious soup. Perfect for a chilly fall or winter day, this is sure to hit the spot, and even the kids will love it. Enjoy it with some crusty bread, or even round out the meal by including some grilled cheese sandwiches on the side to make it really satisfying.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (359572 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195565 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90960 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54671 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52614 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41079 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40866 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29469 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26490 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23579 Views)