Lentil Soup Recipe
How to Make Lovely Lentil Soup
Lentil soup is one of the most popular varieties of soup, and lentils work really well in soups and broths. This recipe is a great source of iron, potassium, dietary fiber and protein. Making lentil soup is very simple and you can choose your ingredients depending on what final flavor you wish to produce.
Choose from dried or canned lentils. The dried ones require soaking and a longer cooking time but many home cooks prefer to work with them. Consider whether you wish to make a ham and lentil soup, or something vegetarian with just lentils and perhaps a few choice veggies and herbs. You can even make spicy lentil soups which are especially nice during the cooler seasons.
Lentils come in many varieties, and you can choose from red, yellow, brown, green or black lentils, and use ones with or without the husk. When they are hulled, the lentils will break up during cooking and this gives you a thick soup. If they are still in their husks the lentils will hold their shape. Lentil soup dates right back to Ancient Greek times.
Include vegetables like potatoes, celery, carrots and onion if you wish, and perhaps herbs like bay leaf or parsley. Garlic, cumin, vinegar and olive oil are also popular additions to lentil soup. Chopped herbs or croutons might garnish the dish, or you could add yogurt or cream. Lemon juice is a common addition to Middle Eastern lentil soup recipes while aromatic spices are added to Indian varieties.
The Appeal of Lentil Soup
Lentil soup is considered a hearty dish because lentils give the soup thickness and richness. This dish appeals to everyone, young or old, and it is a versatile soup because you can add your own touches, using meat, poultry or fish if you want, and using whichever vegetables you prefer.
You also get to choose how chunky the soup is, and whether you prefer a textured soup or a smooth, blended one. These are the bonuses of making your own soup rather than popping open a can.
Take your time looking down the list of our tasty lentil soups and discover which is the best for the occasion. You will be spoilt for choice because the recipes are all easy and tasty. Spoil your family with some homemade lentil soup.
Enjoy our selection of the best lentil soup recipes.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357353 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195559 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90936 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41060 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40863 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)