The Very Best French Onion Soup Recipes
French onion soup is a beef broth and onion based soup, which is traditionally served with cheese and croutons on top. This is an ancient dish, which has been enjoyed for centuries, but it because especially popular in the United States in the 1960s when French cooking started to become popular on both sides of the Atlantic.
French onion soup and other types of onion soup make a very popular appetizer, lunch or even dinner. You might have thought there were only a couple of ways to make an onion soup recipe but there are in fact hundreds of different ways to make onion soup.
If you are new to soup making, you might appreciate a recipe for an easy French onion soup. Also, if you like the basic flavor of French onion soup cheese, fruit, and all kinds of herbs and spices can be used for a special flavor.
Onion Soup Recipes for Everyone
You might like to make a traditional French style onion soup with a big cheese crouton on top, flavored subtly with garlic, parsley and thyme or what about a healthy broccoli and French onion soup or a gourmet French onion soup with wine, Madeira or port?
If you like both onions and soups, there is bound to be an ideal onion soup recipe for you, whether it is thick or thin, basic or spicy and sweet or savory. There are lots of different toppings for onion soup too. You do not have to serve it in the traditional French style with a cheese topped slice of French bread on top of the soup.
Making Authentic Onion Soup Recipes at Home
French onion soup is easy to make at home and you can either make it for occasions when you have guests coming over or for the family. French onion soup is healthy and economical to make and the whole family will love it.
You do not need any special equipment to make your own onion soup and there are onion soup recipes for the stove, grill, broiler, and even the crockpot.
Onion Soup through History
Onion soup recipes have been made at least as far back as the ancient Roman and Greek times. Onion soup was seen as poor people’s food since onions were cheap and easy to grow. Onions were fried, baked, and boiled in many Old World recipes and they were believed to have restorative powers.
More modern French onion soup recipes originated in eighteenth century France and they were made with caramelized onions and beef broth. The beef broth in the early recipes would have been made from beef bones, beef meat, and fresh vegetables but nowadays we can use a beef bouillon cube for a similar, yet not quite as authentic, flavor.
French onion soup can be finished off in a ramekin under the broiler, with gruyere cheese and croutons on top. The modern French onion soup recipe we enjoy today is a direct descendant of seventeenth century French bouillon.
The Easiest Onion Soup Recipes
Onion soup is one of the easiest soup recipes to make and even basic onion soup recipes are delicious because the beef broth and onion alone have plenty of flavor to offer, without seasonings, herbs, or spices being necessary to give taste.
If you want to add herbs, spices, port wine, Madeira wine or something else, for some flavor, go right ahead. Onion soup goes nicely with all kinds of other flavors and the sky is the limit with what you add to the basic onion soup recipe.
So, enjoy browsing our extensive collection of the best onion and French onion soup recipes ever and happy cooking!
Leave a Reply
- Simple Chicken Stew Recipe in a Crock Pot
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
- An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
- Mixed Seafood Chowder with Crumbled Bacon
- Easy Recipe for How to Make Rabbit Stew
- Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
- Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- Insider Secrets to Storing Onions
- What to Serve with Beef Stew
- What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
- How to Thicken Potato Soup
- How to Caramelize Onions Like a Pro
- Can I Use New York Strip Steak for Stew?
- Five Common French Onion Soup Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Brown Stew Meat
- How Long is Potato Soup Good?
- The History of Onion Soup - The History of French Onion Soup
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Alphabet Soup Recipe November 7, 2013
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe November 7, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (77608 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (44536 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (38313 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (27065 Views)
- Home (25244 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (18002 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (17521 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (17083 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (11201 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (9285 Views)