Making Beef Consommé Out of Beef Broth
Beef consommé is a full bodied and hearty broth. A homemade veal stock is great to start off with but you can use store bought beef broth to begin the consommé with, if that is all that is available.
The egg shells add calcium and the sprig of thyme adds a fresh, herby note. This beef consommé out of beef broth is made with premium ground beef, or sirloin steak, for an extra rich flavor. This cut of beef is not cheap but you only need half a pound of it and the depth it gives to the consommé flavor is amazing. Use a cheaper cut of beef if you need to or if you have something to use up.
Consommé is a condensed, rich form of broth and broth is always used to make consommé. A French onion soup recipe might call for consommé or it might call for broth. There are beef broth recipes and consommé recipes that you can use to make the perfect base for your French onion soup recipe.
- 4 egg whites
- 4 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups veal or beef broth
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 4 eggshells, crushed
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- ½ lb premium ground beef
- Whisk the eggshells, egg whites, and peppercorns until you have a foamy mixture.
- Pulse the celery, tomatoes, beef and celery in a food processor a few times.
- Combine the broth, the vegetable and beef mixture, the eggs, salt and thyme in a stockpot and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring it all the time.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and let the mixture simmer for 35 minutes without stirring it.
- Take it off the heat and strain the beef consommé through a fine mesh sieve, which is lined with a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Discard everything left in the sieve and add salt to the consommé if you like.
Consommé is made by simmering ingredients in a pot, allowing all the flavors from the meat, vegetables and seasonings leach out into the liquid and impart plenty of flavor. You can serve the finished consommé as a clear liquid or you can add meat or vegetables to make it more filling. Some people like to present cooked meat with some choice vegetables in a dish and then pour a little consommé on top so you have something which is halfway between a soup and a dish with a light sauce. Get creative with consommé. There are plenty of uses for it.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195329 Views)
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (90420 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (89484 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54535 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52087 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40685 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (40380 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (28415 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26082 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23142 Views)