Making Beef Consommé Out of Beef Broth
Beef consommé is a full bodied and hearty broth. A homemade veal stock is great to start off with but you can use store bought beef broth to begin the consommé with, if that is all that is available.
The egg shells add calcium and the sprig of thyme adds a fresh, herby note. This beef consommé out of beef broth is made with premium ground beef, or sirloin steak, for an extra rich flavor. This cut of beef is not cheap but you only need half a pound of it and the depth it gives to the consommé flavor is amazing. Use a cheaper cut of beef if you need to or if you have something to use up.
Consommé is a condensed, rich form of broth and broth is always used to make consommé. A French onion soup recipe might call for consommé or it might call for broth. There are beef broth recipes and consommé recipes that you can use to make the perfect base for your French onion soup recipe.
Tasty Beef Consommé with Thyme
Summary: Veal or beef broth is the foundation for this consommé, and thyme, veggies and tomatoes help to fortify the meaty flavor. This recipe is easy and very tasty.
- 4 egg whites
- 4 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups veal or beef broth
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 4 eggshells, crushed
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- ½ lb premium ground beef
- Whisk the eggshells, egg whites, and peppercorns until you have a foamy mixture.
- Pulse the celery, tomatoes, beef and celery in a food processor a few times.
- Combine the broth, the vegetable and beef mixture, the eggs, salt and thyme in a stockpot and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring it all the time.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and let the mixture simmer for 35 minutes without stirring it.
- Take it off the heat and strain the beef consommé through a fine mesh sieve, which is lined with a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Discard everything left in the sieve and add salt to the consommé if you like.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: French
Consommé is made by simmering ingredients in a pot, allowing all the flavors from the meat, vegetables and seasonings leach out into the liquid and impart plenty of flavor. You can serve the finished consommé as a clear liquid or you can add meat or vegetables to make it more filling. Some people like to present cooked meat with some choice vegetables in a dish and then pour a little consommé on top so you have something which is halfway between a soup and a dish with a light sauce. Get creative with consommé. There are plenty of uses for it.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Simple Chicken Stew Recipe in a Crock Pot
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
- An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
- Mixed Seafood Chowder with Crumbled Bacon
- Easy Recipe for How to Make Rabbit Stew
- Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
- Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- Insider Secrets to Storing Onions
- What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
- How to Thicken Potato Soup
- How to Caramelize Onions Like a Pro
- The Best French Onion Soup Cheese
- Five Common French Onion Soup Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Brown Stew Meat
- How Long is Potato Soup Good?
- The History of Onion Soup - The History of French Onion Soup
- How to Choose the Best Stock Pots
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Alphabet Soup Recipe November 7, 2013
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe November 7, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (71868 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (39034 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (29398 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (24808 Views)
- Home (22688 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (17098 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (16853 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (15881 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (9791 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (8853 Views)