Authentic Chinese Yam Soup
This delicious soup is extremely healthy. First of all you use flavorful vegetables to make a bouillon and then you add the grilled yams and some nutmeg which goes well with both sweet and savory ingredients so is the perfect addition to a grilled yam recipe.
You might have seen other recipes for yam soup such as spicy yam soup or yam and meat soup but this one is vegetable rich and gets all its flavor from the ingredients used for the broth, from the nutmeg and of course from the deliciously juicy grilled yams. As far as yam soup recipes go, this one is healthy, flavorful and makes a wonderfully light appetizer.
Yams offer a natural sweetness which most people love, and you might have enjoyed candied yams at thanksgiving or another occasion or perhaps you have tried them done a different way. They go very nicely in soup though, so do try this recipe if you are wondering about it. The typical Chinese flavors work very nicely and anyone who likes an authentic-tasting Chinese dish is going to find this very yummy. As well as offering plenty of great flavor this soup offers a nice texture because it is served chunky rather than pureed, which is quite typical of Asian soups.
- 2 yams, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 oz Chinese mushrooms
- 3 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper
- Put the carrot, onion, tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, water, and fennel powder in a big pot and bring it to the boil over a high heat.
- Turn the heat down and cook uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub the olive oil on to the yams and sprinkle on some salt.
- Grill them over a medium high heat for 5 minutes then turn over and cook for 5 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat this until the yams are soft all the way through, and then cut them into ½ inch cubes.
- Strain the vegetable mixture and return it to the pot.
- Add the grilled yams and nutmeg and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
A Picture of our Authentic Chinese Yam Soup – Wonderfully sweet grilled yams make the bases of this lovely grilled soup. This grilled soup brings home a wonderful Asian flavor to the grill.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358044 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52604 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)