Creamy White Cheese Soup
This is a delicious soup, especially if you are a fan of cheese. The soup is made with light-colored ingredients for a white finish, and then it is served garnished with chopped chives, although you can swap those for parsley or even popcorn if you prefer. This soup is thick and creamy, and it includes beer to complement the cheese flavor, as well as mustard for a piquant accent. If you are serving this to kids or you do not want to use beer, just leave it out and add a little extra broth instead.
This soup is wonderful on a chilly evening and it is great comfort food. Actually most cheesy, creamy dishes can be called ‘comfort food’ but this one certainly fits the bill. Sure to put a smile on your face and leave your belly happy and full, this creamy soup is also easy to make. The cooking time is quite short and since most of the ingredients do not need to be cooked, just keep adding the ingredients in the right order, stirring, until the soup is nice and thick. You can see when it is done because the texture will be gloopy and rich.
Use a sharp cheddar cheese for the best results and ensure you get a white cheddar not an orange cheddar, so the soup will be white. For the same reason, use white pepper instead of black pepper. Black pepper is better in most recipes but unless you want to see lots of little black specks in the soup use white pepper instead.
- 1 lb shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1½ cups Half & Half
- 1 cup beer
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a pot, then stir in the flour.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time, until bubbly and smooth.
- Stir in the mustard, pepper, salt, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion.
- Stir in the beer, Half & Half and chicken broth gradually.
- Stir all the time and cool until thick.
- Stir in the cheddar until it melts, not letting the soup boil at any time.
- Serve garnished with chives.
This soup is all about the cheese. As you can see from the photo, the soup comes out off-white in color, which means the chives on top will stand out and make an attractive garnish. Cheese soup is thick and rich, and choosing a sharp white cheddar is ideal for this recipe. Beer and mustard add flavor accents to the dish while Worcestershire sauce and onion round out the flavor. This is a complete meal in its own right, made even better by serving crusty bread on the side. A glass of medium-dry white wine would be beautiful with this.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357683 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)