Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
The homemade egg noodles really add the wonder to this homemade chicken noodle soup recipe. Homemade egg noodles are simple to make with our homemade egg noodles recipe and this chicken soup is guaranteed to delight your family. Start making the homemade noodles about thirty minutes before you are ready to add them to the soup. You can, of course, use store bought egg noodles but making your own is fun to make, and you will probably find they taste much nicer and fresher.
With chicken soup, egg noodles are very popular but other types of noodles are sometimes used in chicken soup too. Herbs and vegetables are also added to this delicious chicken egg noodle soup, as well as milk for a creamy flavor and texture. This is a delicious chicken soup recipe and is very good as an appetizer before an Asian meal, as long as you keep the portions quite small.
Do not let the long ingredient list in this chicken soup with homemade egg noodles recipe put you off making it. A lot of the ingredients are very common and you probably already have most of them. Making the egg noodles is one of the fun parts in this tasty chicken egg noodle soup recipe and you can choose the exact thickness you want them to be.
- 1 big fryer chicken or broiler chicken
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅓ flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- Put the chicken, salt, spices, herbs and water in a big soup pot or Dutch oven and bring it to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer it for 20 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrot, and onion and simmer the soup until the chicken is cooked.
- Turn the heat off and remove the skin from the chicken.
- While you wait for the chicken to cool down, you can make the noodles. Put the all purpose flour in a bowl and add the salt.
- Whisk the water, oil, and eggs in another bowl and pour this mixture into the flour.
- Mix everything together well, and then turn the dough out on to a floured board.
- Divide it in half with a knife and roll each dough portion into a 1/16 or ⅛ inch oblong. Cover it with a cloth and let it sit for about 20 minutes so the gluten relaxes. Slice the dough into ⅜ inch strips.
- Take the bones out of the chicken when it is cool enough to handle, and chop it into bite-size pieces.
- Skim the fat off the top of the broth and throw it out.
- Put the flour in a small bowl and take a cup of broth out of the pot. Add some of it to the flour, stir well and keep adding little bits of broth to the flour, until you have used the whole cupful.
- Stir the flour mixture slowly into the chicken soup.
- Add the milk and the cooked chicken pieces. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook it until thick. The flour from the homemade noodles will thicken the soup even more.
- Add the noodles, dropping them one at a time into the soup.
- Add the peas and cook until the peas are hot and the noodles are done.
Homemade egg noodles add plenty of charm to this rustic soup. Just like most chicken noodle soup recipes this one features plenty of meaty chicken, a tasty broth and colorful veggies too. Although you can use store-bought egg noodles if you prefer, making your own is surprisingly easy so you might wish to have a go at doing it. This hearty soup makes a lovely lunch. Even though chicken noodle soup is traditionally served as a comfort food, this is an all-purpose soup which is great for anyone at any time.
Leave a Reply
- Caribbean Chicken Soup Recipe October 22, 2014
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Barley October 21, 2014
- Colorful Chicken and Bell Pepper Soup October 20, 2014
- Chicken and White Bean Soup October 16, 2014
- Aromatic Hot and Sour Chicken Soup October 15, 2014
- Cajun Chicken Soup with Black Beans and Sausage October 14, 2014
- Chunky Chicken and Couscous Soup October 13, 2014
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (82670 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53588 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47898 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (32527 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (20337 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19072 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18730 Views)
- Stew Articles (13823 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12825 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (12117 Views)