Caribbean Chicken Soup Recipe
This unusual chicken soup recipe is perfect for lovers of Caribbean cuisine. You need to use a whole chicken for this recipe. It is best to use a fresh chicken because it has a nicer flavor. Carrots, sweet potato and onion bulk out this chicken soup and the Caribbean flavor comes from the addition of ginger, curry powder, cilantro, fresh herbs, coconut milk and more. If you want to add some leftover cooked beef to the soup for another meaty accent go ahead.
You can use any kind of chili sauce in this Caribbean chicken soup recipe but Asian or Caribbean chili sauce is especially nice – the Caribbean kind if you want the most authentic flavor possible. You can get these from an Asian or Caribbean grocery store. This fragrant and flavorful chicken soup combines aromatic herbs with the tropical flavor of coconut and the chicken soup staples of chicken, onion and carrot.
The sweet potato makes a change from regular potato and all in all, this is a full flavored and really mouthwatering chicken soup recipe. If you wanted to adapt this recipe a bit, you could use some kind of noodles instead of the sweet potato. Udon noodles or egg noodles would work to create a kind of Asian Caribbean fusion chicken soup. Alternatively just make this recipe as it is, because it is really good. This recipe serves as proof that chicken soup can be made in pretty much any cuisine, from the creamy chicken soups or chicken noodles soups we are so fond of when we are sick to spicy Asian takes on the dish, and even this delicious Caribbean inspired chicken soup which is certainly well worth making.
- 1 chicken, about 3½ lbs
- 2 peeled, chopped carrots
- 1 peeled, quartered onion
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and in long, thin strips
- 13½ oz can coconut milk
- ¼ cup each fresh basil, fresh mint and fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 3 bay leaves
- Handful of chopped cooked beef (optional)
- Lime leaves and whole red chilies, for garnish (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Rinse the chicken and add it to a big soup pot.
- Add the onion, half a bunch of the cilantro and the ginger.
- Fill the pot with water so the water level comes a few inches above the chicken.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Skim any residue off the surface of the soup, then turn down the heat.
- Simmer the Caribbean chicken soup for 45 minutes.
- Keep adding water so the chicken is always covered.
- Take the chicken out and let it cool a bit.
- Strain the broth.
- Shred the chicken and discard the bones and skin.
- Mix the chili sauce, cinnamon, coconut milk, bay leaves and ground allspice.
- Add the oil, ginger and curry powder to a big pan and warm the mixture over a moderate heat.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and sauté them for about 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add the chicken broth and coconut milk to the vegetables and simmer the soup for another 15 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pan and simmer the soup for 5 minutes.
- If you want to add some cooked beef, add that now too.
- Chop the fresh herbs and add them to the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with lime leaves and red chilies if you want to add a splash of color to the dish.
- Serve hot.
This Caribbean chicken soup recipe looks attractive and it smells really nice as well. You might be more familiar with classic chicken noodle soup and traditional chicken soup recipes but sometimes it is nice to try something new and, as you can see from the picture, this is a tempting chicken soup. The Caribbean flavors make the soup aromatic and fragrant with a gentle hint of tropical flavor and this makes a special lunch or supper. If you want to try something different for your family this is a great recipe to make. It is simple to prepare and guaranteed to impress everyone.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357840 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23569 Views)