Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup
There are thousands of different soup recipes to choose from, tens of thousands even, and maybe more, but how do you transform an otherwise ordinary soup into something amazing? Which soup is guaranteed to make your palate sing and your belly satisfied with its incredible flavors? The answer is chicken tortilla soup, which really is delicious.
The strong, rich flavor comes from the elegant sauce and broth base, along with garlic, onions and jalapeño. The aromatic cumin increases the flavor even more while the chipotle and tortilla chips really bring it to life, and the Oaxaca cheese, which is optional but well worth using, adds a distinctive Mexican flair. Serve this wonderful chicken tortilla soup garnished with freshly cut cilantro for a lovely contrast between the bold, vibrant flavors and the aromatic, delicate additions to the soup.
The whole family is sure to enjoy the taste of this and once you set this on the dinner table it is sure to capture everyone’s attention as they enjoy the amazing aromas and then reach for their spoons to enjoy this wonderful soup. This dish is firmly rooted in traditional Mexican cuisine. It is spicy and exciting, potent and delicious, offering the smoky chipotle flavor and also the fresh, herby appeal of cilantro. Serve the soup over rice or beans to make it heartier or enjoy it just as it is. This is a well-rounded meal and makes an excellent lunch or dinner. You will find the flavor and textures generous and delicious and certainly want to make this again in the future. Make this soup and enjoy a real south of the border flavor.
- 1 chicken breast half
- 1 pack thin tortilla chips
- 50 ¾ oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 canned chipotle chilies (adjust for more/less spice, as liked)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 4 oz canned black beans, drained (optional)
- 1 peeled, chopped small sweet potato (optional)
- 1 cup Oaxaca cheese (optional)
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Take 2 of the chipotle peppers out of the can and carefully slice them.
- Wash your hands after this procedure.
- Place a saucepan on to heat over a high flame.
- Add the oil and heat until it reaches a high temperature, and then add the onions, garlic, and cumin.
- Fry for 2 minutes then add the chipotles.
- Cook for no more than thirty seconds before adding the tomato sauce.
- When the tomato sauce begins to boil, add the chicken broth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep this simmering for at least 30 minutes (covered), preferably more.
- If you want to add sweet potato and/or black beans, add 15 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- In the meantime, put the chicken breast in a saucepan two-thirds full of water to simmer.
- Keep the heat low because boiling it will make it tough.
- Gently simmer the chicken breast for 12 minutes or until it is thoroughly cooked with no pinkness inside.
- Drain it and then chop or shred the chicken when it is cool enough to handle.
- If you have Oaxaca cheese, shred it well.
- You can substitute another cheese if you cannot get Oaxaca, and either shred or grate it.
- Plate the dish by pouring the soup mixture over the chicken and chips in 6 bowls.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and cheese if liked and serve hot.
Boasting an incredibly array of traditional Mexican flavors, this wonderful tortilla soup boasts pungency and spice, along with cumin, garlic, cilantro, and other aromatic ingredients. You will also find chipotle chilies in there along with a broth and sauce based liquid, to ensure every mouthful is appealing and flavor-packed. The photo gives you a good idea of what the finished soup is going to look like, although you can mix and match the ingredients, perhaps swapping the sweet potato for white potato, or adding a generous handful of cheese on top. Make it your own and delight your family by offering this for dinner tonight.
More Than 135 Light, Healthy, Delicious and Beautiful Soups in 60 Minutes or Less
by Camilla Saulsbury
Boasting more than 150 delicious soup recipes, you will find yourself turning to this hardcover book time and time again, whenever you are in the mood for a classic soup, a way to use up whichever ingredients you want to use, or a brand new idea for a flavorful soup the family is going to love. Try the West African peanut soup if you want something smooth and creamy, or the green chicken chowder for something hearty and warming. Exotic Asian soups, trendy butternut bisque, vegetarian delights, Italian minestrone, and low-fat soups are just some of your options, but there are far too many to list here. Reviewers love this book because it is packed with so many wonderful soup ideas and you are not going to run out of soup options. The recipes are down to earth, delicious and the ingredients are easy to source too. Each recipe has been extensively tested and nothing has more than 10 grams of fat per serving. The soups are categorized so you can quickly find the perfect recipe, whether you are searching by prep time, ingredients, cuisine, or calories. This is a definite must-have if you are into making homemade soups because every single one is tasty, simple to make and sure to become a firm family favorite.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357866 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)