Lemon Chicken Soup with Scallions and Corn
This is a fragrant and mouthwatering chicken soup recipe, blending the flavors of lemon, chili, wine, ginger and garlic. This chicken soup is quick and easy to make and you can make it in about twenty minutes. Skimming the chicken fat off the top of the soup halfway through the cooking time cuts the calorie count without affecting the end flavor very much but if you are not bothered about the fat content then you do not need to skim the fat off.
Lemon and chicken go together really well and dishes like Chinese lemon chicken prove this to be true. Chicken has a naturally soft and subtle flavor and the sharp tang of lemon goes very nicely with it. If you don’t want to use wine in this chicken soup recipe, simply substitute the wine for extra chicken broth. You can also leave out the chili if you want to. It is your dish so really make it your own, applying any little tweaks you want, and the end result will be totally satisfying.
This Asian inspired chicken soup recipe is healthy and delicious and it makes a light lunch or a flavorful supper recipe. You can also serve it as an appetizer before dinner, if you give everyone a small bowlful instead of a full portion. The aromatic ginger, scallions, lemon, chili and garlic work so well with the chicken to make an Asian flavored soup which is guaranteed to please your palate and leave you wanting more. If you usually get Chinese soup from the takeout or reheat the contents of a can, consider making your own from scratch because the results really are impressive.
- 1 cup raw chicken breast
- 1 chopped chili pepper
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 minced scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 3 chopped cloves garlic
- Zest and juice from half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, plus whole sprigs for garnish
- Add the wine, broth, garlic, ginger, chili, scallions, and chicken to a pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook for 4 minutes then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook until the chicken is done.
- Skim the chicken fat off the top of the soup.
- Shred the chicken using a fork, then put it back in the pot.
- Add the corn kernels and cilantro and cook for a couple of minutes or until the corn is tender.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, stir and serve, garnished with the cilantro sprigs.
A couple of sprigs of cilantro make up the simple garnish for this delicious chicken soup recipe. This is a fragrant and light soup which is both warming and soothing. Sometimes it is nice to enjoy a rich, creamy chicken soup recipe and other times a chicken soup with subtle Asian flavors, like this one, really hits the spot. There is nothing like a delicious homemade chicken soup recipe at the end of a long day, to help you to relax and unwind and this is a very easy soup to make.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (359017 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195563 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90955 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52608 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41074 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29451 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26486 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23577 Views)