Aromatic Hot and Sour Chicken Soup
You can make hot and sour chicken soup quickly and easily and the following chicken soup recipe is really good. Chicken is combined with mushrooms, bamboo shoots, scallions and more and the flavorings include garlic, ginger, vinegar and more. This aromatic soup is perfect for a light lunch or for an appetizer or supper.
Hot and sour soup also makes a nice drink and you might fancy a mug of this rather than tea or coffee to perk you up in the afternoon. There are different hot and sour soup recipes but this one is great because it tastes wonderful and it is so simple to prepare. For a meatier soup, double the amount of chicken you use. Because you are making this yourself you get to choose how much of each ingredient you add, either taking our lead or coming up with your own amounts if you prefer a meatier, spicier, or thicker soup as a result.
This is a very healthy chicken soup recipe and, if you are watching your weight, soup is a great dish to make. Not only is it low in fat and calories but soup is also very filling because of the liquid content, which means it can fill you up. Of course, this hot and sour soup recipe is a lot healthier than some creamy chicken soups but it depends which variety of chicken soup you feel like making. Once you make this soup and taste how good it is you will want to make it again. The flavor really is that impressive. The combination of flavors, especially the sesame, soy sauce, chilies, and ginger, will all dance on your tongue and let you know immediately you are eating something classically Chinese.
- 1 chicken breast, in 1 inch cubes
- 6 sliced mushrooms
- 7 oz can thinly sliced bamboo shoots
- 4 diced red chilies
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed to a paste with water
- 2 diced scallions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Add the water and chicken broth to a pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the bamboo shoots, chilies, soy sauce, sugar, mushrooms, garlic, vinegar and ginger.
- Cover the pot with a lid.
- Cook for 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir the soup.
- When the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, pour in the beaten egg and stir it gently with a chopstick.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir the soup until it thickens.
- Add the scallions and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the hot and sour chicken soup with the sesame oil on top.
This hot and sour chicken soup is guaranteed to please you. The clever combination of spices and flavorings is the perfect balance of sweetness and sourness associated with this famous Chinese chicken soup recipe and the results is really impressive. This hot and sour soup is just like the soup you get from your local Chinese takeout but much better because it is a homemade chicken soup recipe and it tastes so fresh. If you are looking for something a bit different from the cream of chicken soup and chicken noodle soup recipes you normally make, why not try this tasty hot and sour chicken soup for a change?
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (366583 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195580 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (91099 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54682 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52678 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41142 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40879 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29563 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26521 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23607 Views)