Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro
This delicious and healthy chicken soup recipe features chicken, cheese, black beans, garlic, rice, jalapenos and more. For a real taste of Mexico, you cannot go wrong with this easy Mexican soup recipe. This is quite a nutritious recipe because it is low in fat, yet high in protein and vitamin content.
You can adapt some of the ingredients if you want to, omitting anything you are not keen on and maybe adding some extra vegetables. If you have anything to use up, such as mushrooms or bell pepper, feel free to add them.
Soup recipes are very popular in Mexico and that fact often surprises people whose ideas about authentic Mexican food recipes are based on what is available from their local Mexican fast food joint. Actually Mexicans love to use fresh produce in recipes, which is why the following recipe is so typically Mexican. This chicken taco soup is satisfying enough for lunch or dinner.
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 14 oz can black beans
- 2 big chicken breasts
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 14 oz can corn kernels
- 3 corn tortillas
- ½ cup uncooked white rice
- 2 de-seeded, finely diced jalapenos
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Cheddar or Mexican is fine)
- Small pot sour cream
- Frying oil, as needed
- Sauté the onions in a tablespoon of oil for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Pour in the water and broth. Stir in the rice and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the drained corn, drained black beans, jalapeno, and seasonings. Add ¾ of the cilantro.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Chop the chicken breasts and sauté them in oil in another pan until they are cooked.
- Shred the chicken and add it to the soup.
- Slice the tortillas into thin strips and fry them in oil until they are golden and crispy. Drain them on paper towels.
- Divide the soup between 6 bowls and add cheese and tortilla strips to each one.
- Garnish with the sour cream and remaining cilantro.
This colorful chicken taco soup recipe is heaven in a bowl. The bright colors make it really tempting and the cilantro and dollop of sour cream (or crème fraiche, if you prefer) on top adds to its appeal. This rich, hearty Mexican soup recipe features chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, cheese and more, for an authentic south of the border meal. You can serve extra tortillas on the side or simply serve this soup alone. The rice and chicken make it satisfying enough, without the need for side dishes.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357386 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)