Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
You can buy fresh asparagus at any time of the year and use it in all kinds of tasty asparagus soup recipes. Asparagus is really nutritious, containing vitamins A, B6 and C, as well as fiber, potassium, thiamin and folate. One interesting fact about this healthy veggie is that it can grow ten inches in just twenty four hours. Of course, it would need perfect conditions for that.
If you are in interested in learning how to grow asparagus, there is plenty of information available to help you. If you are more interested in eating it than growing it, take a look at the following recipe. This simple asparagus soup recipe requires only five ingredients – asparagus, green onion, butter, cream, and chicken stock.
You can add some salt and pepper to taste and you might also like to add some croutons and chopped fresh basil, but that is optional. You can serve the soup however you like. This is a hot, creamy, and totally satisfying dish. You might want to switch the chicken stock for vegetable stock if you are making this for someone who doesn’t eat meat.
- 4 bunches green asparagus
- 1 ½ chopped green onions
- 3 ½ oz butter
- 3 ½ oz heavy cream
- 3 ½ pints chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Croutons and fresh basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Rinse the asparagus under cold running water and snap off the woody ends. Keep them for the stock.
- Warm the chicken stock in a covered pot with the reserved asparagus ends.
- When it reaches a boil, turn the heat down and simmer it for 10 minutes.
- Chop the asparagus stalks and tips into ½ inch pieces.
- Remove the woody asparagus ends from the hot stock and discard them.
- Remove the stock from the pan and reserve it.
- Wipe the pot out using kitchen paper and then melt the butter in there.
- Add the green onions and asparagus (not the tips) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the stock back into the pot and cover it. Simmer until the asparagus is soft.
- Let the soup cool for a few minutes, and then puree it in the blender in batches until it is smooth.
- Add the soup back to the pot with the asparagus tips and all but a couple teaspoons of the cream.
- Season it with salt and pepper and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup hot, with the remaining cream swirled on top and perhaps a few croutons and fresh basil leaves.
Serving your asparagus soup recipes in shallow bowls, like you can see in this picture, means they will cool down quicker. As long as you get the soup from the pot to the table within a few minutes, it should remain nice and hot. Serving soup in tall, narrow bowls keeps it hotter for longer but when soup tastes as good as this white asparagus soup recipe does, you will not want to wait too long before enjoying it! The aroma of this soup is wonderful and the flavor is absolutely spot-on. This recipe is delicious enough to serve at a dinner party, as your appetizer.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358175 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23571 Views)