Grilled Asparagus Soup with Red Bell Pepper
You can grill the veggies indoors or outdoors for this tasty grilled vegetable soup recipe. If you want to use a ridged grill pan indoors, it is a similar process. Just cook the vegetables for about eight minutes, turning them halfway through. The addition of Half & Half gives this soup a pleasantly thick finish. If you want to make it even richer, you can swap the Half & Half for heavy cream.
It is important never to add cream to something which is boiling or too hot because the cream will curdle. If in doubt, let the soup cool a bit first and then add the cream a bit at a time. That tip applies to all hot recipes calling for the addition of cream.
Grilling vegetables gives them a pleasant smoky flavor if you use a charcoal grill. You can use woodchips on a grill to give food a smoky flavor too. Some people use liquid smoke in recipes but nothing rivals the flavor of real smoke and you can tell whether something has been char grilled or simply flavored with something smoky.
If you are wondering whether firing up the grill is worthwhile just to grill vegetables for soup, that is your choice. The soup will be better if you do grill the vegetables first before preparing the soup, but many home cooks like to wait until the grill is being used for cooking meat or fish and that is when they put their veggies on there for the soup, so you do not have to do all the work of preparing and using the grill just to cook a couple veggies on it.
- 1 ½ lbs trimmed asparagus spears
- ½ de-seeded red bell pepper, in 1 piece
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup Half & Half
- 1 coarsely chopped Vidalia onion
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pot sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, plus 6 sprigs or leaves for garnish
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Rub 1 ½ tablespoons of the oil over the asparagus and bell pepper and grill for 8 minutes on a multi-functional perforated grill, turning once.
- Let the veggies cool on a cutting board. Peel the skin off the bell pepper if you want to.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a 4 quart pot over a moderately hot flame.
- Add the garlic, onion, and sauté until tender.
- Cut the asparagus and bell pepper into 1 inch pieces.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the flour.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the broth and bring the soup to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low, cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and bell pepper.
- Process the soup in batches in a blender, and then return it to the pot.
- Stir in the Half & Half and the chopped parsley.
- Serve the soup, garnished with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh parsley
The combination of green asparagus, red bell pepper, and vegetable stock gives this soup a murky brownish green color, unlike the vivid green color of some asparagus soup recipes, but do not let that put you off because it is really tasty. This grilled asparagus soup recipe is bursting with flavor, especially if you use a charcoal grill to cook the vegetables, infusing them with a mouthwatering smoky taste. This soup is thick and hearty and it is nice for lunch or supper. Serve it in smaller portions and it makes a pretty good appetizer too. If you have some asparagus to use, this is one of the best asparagus recipes to make.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358759 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90951 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41067 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29442 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26483 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)