Cream of Onion Soup and Red Peppercorn Soup
You might think that onion and pepper soup sounds like a strange dish and perhaps you have never tried green pepper soup or red pepper soup before either. Of course, this cream of onion soup recipe is made with peppercorns and the other kind of soup is made with bell peppers. Just to confuse you even more, there is also a chili pepper soup but you might prefer to give that one a miss unless you are fond of very spicy foods!
Pepper is often used as a condiment to spice up the food but it also has a great flavor of its own, as you will know if you have tried pepper sauce. Grilled onions are used for flavor in this delicious pepper soup recipe and sherry, bouillon, and butter add a rich flavor. The red peppercorns are used both to flavor the dish and to make an attractive garnish on top of the finished soup. Green onions are also used for a contrasting color and for garnish.
This soup is a gourmet grilled soup recipe because the simple combination of onions, sherry, and peppercorns makes the most wonderful soup and these flavors play off one another to make something incredibly tasty and wonderful. Sherry is often used to add flavor to fish soups and other delicately flavored soup recipes, so it goes without saying that its sharp yet sweet taste would bring out the flavor of the sweet onions nicely and the peppercorns add an aromatic finish which is also great with the sherry and onion combination.
- 4 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 4 sweet onions such as Vidalia
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 12 ice cubes
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons whole red peppercorns
- Green onion to garnish
- Preheat the grill to medium high.
- Slice the tops off the onions and take off the outer layer of skin, leaving the base intact.
- Slice across the top, making a cross hatch pattern, cutting about ½ inch into the onion.
- Put each onion on a square of aluminum foil, using doubled up foil if you do not have heavy duty foil.
- Divide the butter between the 4 onions, dotting it on top and do the same with the bouillon cubes.
- Fold the foil up around the onion, putting 3 ice cubes and some sherry on top of each one just before sealing it.
- Cook the foil packets over the grill for 40 or 45 minutes, not opening the foil at all.
- The onions are done if they feel soft when you squeeze the foil packets.
- Add the onions to the blender with the bouillon from the packets, the water, and half the peppercorns.
- Puree the soup until smooth, add salt to taste and divide it between 4 serving bowls.
- Slice the green onion finely and use it to garnish the soup.
- Sprinkle the remaining red peppercorns over the soup to garnish it.
Not to be confused with green pepper soup, which is a soup made with bell peppers, this red pepper soup is made with peppercorns. You can see from the photo how this is a pale and creamy soup and you can see how the red peppercorns used as garnish stand out, which means you can avoid them if you don’t want to eat them. Some people are happy to eat peppercorns but they are very spicy and not that great for dentures wearers! Saying that, this red pepper soup has a flavor, which has to be tasted to be believed. The recipe itself is quite simple but the flavors are amazing.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358170 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23571 Views)