Lemon and Bean Soup with Rosemary
All the flavors in every spoonful along with the unmistakable Italian flair makes this a worthy soup to consider. You can use any beans you want, either cooked from fresh or canned (and then well drained and rinsed). We are using carrot, onion and zucchini, but you can use any vegetables you want in here. Perhaps you wish to include mushrooms, cabbage or bell peppers instead.
The rosemary, garlic and lemon add wonderful yet subtle flavors to the soup. Each of those flavors can be very vibrant and bold if used in excess but we are just using a little of each, so as not to overpower the delicate bean and vegetable flavors you already have in there. In addition, you might like to add some sundried tomatoes, for another splash of color and the complement the Italian appeal. The lemon juice goes in at the end because then you can judge how much to add, adding a little, tasting as you go, then adding more if needed.
This Italian bean soup makes a fine lunch or evening meal, served alone or with bread. If you want to enjoy some bread with it, consider ciabatta, a light and airy Italian loaf which is perfect for dunking and offers a nice, chewy texture. This recipe makes four portions of soup, and it can be warmed back up the following day if you want to enjoy more than one meal. It also freezes well, but enjoy it within a month so it still tastes like fresh. Minestrone is perhaps the most famous Italian soup but if you wish to try something else, consider this recipe. The flavors work harmoniously, it is ideal for any season or occasion, and it is also a wonderful pantry soup because can tweak, mix and match the ingredients depending what you have in the pantry to use up.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- ¼ chopped zucchini
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups mixed cooked beans (canned beans are fine)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped sundried tomatoes (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oil in a pot over a moderate heat.
- Add the carrot and onion.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, rosemary and garlic.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, broth and a little salt and black pepper.
- Add the sundried tomatoes here, if you are using them.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then turn the heat down.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- At this point you might like to use an immersion blender to puree about half the soup.
- Squeeze in half the lemon juice and taste the soup.
- You can now add more lemon juice and/or more salt and pepper if needed.
Beans, vegetables and a rosemary and lemon scented broth elevate this soup to superstar status. Inspired by an old Italian recipe, this soup is great because you can go into the pantry and grab anything you want to throw in there – any veggies that need to be used up, any type of beans (either cooked or canned) and anything else. Use fresh rosemary and fresh lemon juice for the best results. The lemon offers a bright zing while the rosemary offers an earthy, appealing touch, and complements the beans really well. This is ideal for lunchtime or as your evening meal.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357987 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)