Crockpot Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
When I set out to make this cream of mushroom soup I knew I wanted to accomplish a few goals with it. I one wanted to use the crockpot as a working mom I love the crockpot it frees up so much time and makes a long day at work a bit better at the end of the day to have a nice hot meal that I didn’t have to spend in the kitchen all night. The other thing I wanted to accomplish was use more than one kind of mushroom for a real earthy taste and I wanted it to be creamy and rich so I used half-and-half instead of plain milk to give it a deep richness.
Somewhere along the way it ends up being another vegetarian recipe without really thinking much about it. I could have used chicken stock but the vegetable stock just seemed a better pairing with the mix of mushrooms and if I didn’t have to use an animal product in the broth that was all the better. Now this isn’t a vegan recipe I do use dairy although I suppose you could sub out soy milk if you so chose but I wasn’t looking to go that far so it has dairy in it.
It had been so nice here a few weeks ago but today was grey and distinctly not spring like so I wanted a soup that would remove the chill from my bones. Plus as you know I have 5 guys to get every meatless recipe past so I better make it filling or they’ll be hungry five minutes after dinner not what I am ever after. I like my guys to feel full and with their weight it is not an issue well except dad but he is getting there he has lost 40 pounds so what we are doing is working. One of the things is to keep them satisfied so they don’t do that binge eating when you leave them wondering didn’t we have dinner?
- ½ pound baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
- ½ pound shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- ½ pound oyster mushrooms, chopped
- ½ pound button mushrooms, sliced (1/2 cup reserved for garnish)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, chopped finely
- 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoons good white wine
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup reserved button mushrooms
- Start by frying the mushrooms except the button mushrooms reserve these for later in a bit of the butter.
- When these are lightly browned place them in crockpot.
- Add a bit more butter and do the button mushrooms until golden brown reserve a half cup for serving as a garnish.
- Add all the mushrooms to the crockpot except the half cup reserved button mushrooms. Put these aside for serving.
- Next add a bit more butter and sauté the garlic, onion and celery for about five minutes so they are tender.
- When done place all the liquid and herbs in the crockpot with the veggies and mushrooms and set to low for seven hours.
- In the last half hour melt the remaining butter and blend with a whisk the flour into the melted butter and stir continually until you form a smooth roux. Remove about two cups of the liquid and stir this into the roux avoid lumping allow to think on stove a bit before retunrin it to the crockpot.
- With your hand blender blend all the mixture in the crockpot until thick and smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into individual soup bowls and top with some of the reserved sautéed button mushrooms. This is also good with some artisan crusty bread of your choice.
Properly garnishing a dish is the difference between a dish that is ok and one that is great a properly garnished dish is so much more inviting it makes you hungry before you ever get a spoon or fork into it. This dish reserves some of the perfectly sautéed button mushrooms to site in the middle of the smooth and rich tasting cream of mushroom soup and their golden appearance just make you salivate before you get the first taste. It is always a good thing with a cream soup to offer up a textural variation in the dish it makes it so much more appealing to the palette.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358087 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52604 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23571 Views)