Extra Thick Cream of Mushroom Soup
Not only is this delicious but it is nutritious too, packed with mushroom and onion for a rich, hearty and earthy taste. Homemade cream of mushroom soup is better than anything from a can, and you can either serve it as it is, or save some to use as a starting ingredient for other soups or casseroles. Everyone in the family is sure to appreciate this flavor-packed, warming soup.
Sauté the mushrooms first to coax out maximum flavor, and use any kind of fresh mushrooms you want. Cremini, oysters or shiitake are good, or you could use white button, morels, porcini, black trumpets, or chanterelles, or even mixed mushrooms. You can use any kind you want, but choose fresh mushrooms over dried or canned for superior results, unless you want to add some gourmet dried ones like porcini. We are using heavy cream in this recipe to stop the soup curdling. Add it gradually, pouring it in slowly and stirring all the time, so you end up with a nice, smooth texture.
If you prefer not to use high-fat ingredients when making homemade soup recipes, you can switch the butter for olive oil and use either Half & Half or light cream rather than the heavy cream we are suggesting, although the texture will be different if you change the cream. Some people like to add some extra seasonings to the soup, and bay leaf, thyme, basil, oregano, or nutmeg would all work. You will only need a tiny pinch though. Do you have some carrots, celery or leek to use up? If so, chop them up and add them to the soup. Our recipe is a great starting point but feel free to add anything you want to make this soup recipe your own. The creaminess and earthiness makes it ideal fare for a chilly fall or winter day or evening.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 chopped white onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth or mushroom broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup sherry or white wine (optional)
- Dill weed and/or croutons, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the butter in a large pot over a medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté them for 3 minutes.
- Remove a few now if you want to use them to garnish the finished soup.
- Add the onion and cook for a further 12 minutes or until soft.
- Add the flour, broth and lemon juice.
- Whisk the mixture until the flour has blended in smoothly.
- Add the cream in 4 additions, stirring all the time while adding it.
- Now you can add some sherry or white wine, although this is optional.
- Bring the soup to a gentle simmer and stir all the time until thick.
- Taste it and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Puree it in a blender or food processor if you like, else leave it chunky.
- You can garnish it with the reserved mushrooms, fresh dill weed and/or croutons if you want.
- This soup should be served hot.
Our cream of mushroom soup can be made with any type of mushrooms. We are using a base of chicken broth or mushroom broth for it, along with tasty lemon and heavy cream to round out the flavor and give it a rich, silky consistency. You can see we are garnishing the finished soup with mushrooms, croutons and dill weed, although you can leave some or all of those off if you prefer. Use a blender or food processor to puree the soup into a thick, rich texture. Then the toppings will not sink through it. This is a wonderful winter warmer and you will find it so easy to make, regardless of your level of cooking experience.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (366263 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195580 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (91098 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54681 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52677 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41140 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40876 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29563 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26521 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23603 Views)