Simple Mushroom Soup with Pasta
This tasty soup is made with mushrooms and other vegetables, as well as pasta. If you want to add some leftover cooked beef or chicken, that would also be good. If you are starting with raw chicken, cook it separately then use the homemade chicken stock instead of canned stock, for a fresher result. Without the chicken the recipe makes a very nice vegetable soup. Swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock to make it vegetarian.
The soft, slightly chewy pasta and tender vegetables make this a chunky soup which promises a delightful texture, while the garlic, oregano and parsley along with the chicken broth make a very tasty base for the veggies and pasta. If you want to swap the oregano and parsley for mixed dried herbs, or even use fresh herbs, that is fine. You might also wish to add some lemon zest to the soup. Swap the peas for corn kernels if you want, or add a can of beans perhaps.
If you want to use canned vegetables that is fine, but raw ones are also good. If you are using chopped instead of shredded carrot, that might take a bit longer to cook. Basically, the denser your ingredients the longer they take to cook in a crockpot. If you prefer to use the low setting on your crockpot instead of the high one, simply double the cooking times. The pasta will cook better on high though, so use a high setting for the last part and the pasta will take about an hour and a half in there. Of course, if you realize before the pasta-adding stage you are too hungry to wait, cook the pasta the normal way on the stove then just stir it into the soup!
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 28 oz can chicken stock
- 10 sliced button mushrooms
- 1½ cups fresh or canned green beans
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 shredded carrot
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz dried pasta shapes
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onion and garlic mixture into the crockpot.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the pasta.
- Cook on high for 3½ hours.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Cook on high for 1½ hours or until the pasta is al dente.
Italian flavors abound in this tasty mushroom and pasta crockpot soup. Use any kind of pasta shapes for this recipe, not long pasta shapes like fettuccine or spaghetti because they are harder to eat in a soup, but smaller ones such as shells, twists, elbow macaroni, penne, or another variation. You can also get small pasta shapes especially for soup-making, and those would also work very nicely here. The broth is made with chicken stock, garlic and herbs, to keep things simple, and this is a nutritious soup which makes a great lunch or light dinner.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (359205 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195564 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90959 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54669 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52610 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41079 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40866 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29464 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26490 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23578 Views)