Classic French Onion Soup Recipe with Sherry
The combination of beef broth and chicken broth gives this French onion soup a lighter flavor than some of the beef broth based ones and the other ingredients add plenty of authentic French onion soup flavor.
The sherry, white wine, and vermouth used in this onion soup recipe add a sweet, complex note at the finish. The soup has Pecorino Romano cheese and Gruyere cheese but you can top it with any melting cheese instead of Gruyere. Emmental, Swiss cheese or anything similar would be fine.
The fresh chives and thyme add an aromatic and herby flavor and this French onion soup makes an impressive appetizer or supper at any get-together. This classic French onion soup recipe is easy to make and you will certainly love the results. Whether you are familiar with the classic French onion soup recipe and wish to try a new take on this favorite, or whether you are new to making onion soup and just happen to like the look of this recipe, it is definitely a winning way to make onion soup. There are more ingredients in this recipe than in some others because we are aiming for a more complex finish with this one, but it is not a very long list of ingredients and you will probably find you already have half the ingredients in your kitchen, possibly more than that. This tasty and aromatic soup is perfect for dinner and it is elegant and classy enough to serve at any gathering.
Classic French Onion Soup with Chicken and Beef Broth
Summary: Boasting an aroma to whet any appetite and an incredible flavor, this classic French onion soup recipe is definitely going to wow all your dinner guests.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup dry white vermouth
- 2 ½ lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- Bunch fresh thyme
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices baguette, 1 inch thick
- 6 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese Bunch of chives
- Put the butter and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan over a medium heat and add the onions. Turn the heat down to low and stir so all the onions is coated. Add some salt and let the onions caramelize slowly for an hour and a half or 2 hours, stirring them occasionally.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl.
- Turn the heat to high and use the white wine and vermouth to deglaze the pan. Scrape up any brown bits in the pan and let the liquid reduce by half. Put the onions back in the pot and add the beef broth and chicken broth.
- Add the thyme, tied up with cooking string, and the bay leaves. Partly cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use the rest of the oil to coat the bread slices and sprinkle some salt and pepper on them. Broil until golden brown.
- Add the sherry to the soup and let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Take out the thyme and bay leaves. Some of the thyme leaves will be in the soup, which is fine.
- Season to taste.
- Put a crouton in each serving bowl, topped with a tablespoon of Pecorino cheese.
- Ladle the onion soup over the croutons, and then add the shredded Gruyere on top. Broil until the Gruyere is bubbly and melted, then scatter the chives over the top, and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 hours(s) 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: French
As you can see from the photo, this rich and meaty classic French onion soup recipe is topped with a layer of Gruyere cheese and some fresh chopped chives for color and flavor. The combination of beef broth and chicken broth lightens up the flavor of this French onion soup and the sherry gives it an elegant flavor. The crouton goes in the bottom of the soup crock and the soup is poured over the top, unlike with some other French onion soup recipes. This is a really good French onion soup recipe and it is well worth making.
Leave a Reply
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (81785 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53394 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47418 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (30609 Views)
- Home (30337 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (19938 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (18912 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18498 Views)
- Stew Articles (13719 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12489 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (12007 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (10089 Views)