Classic French Onion Soup Recipe
Nothing beats classic French onion soup recipes except a French onion soup recipe made with grilled onions! Grilling brings out the natural tangy sweetness of the onions whilst minimizing their sharpness and it is definitely the best cooking method to make onions extra sweet and extra juicy. Grilled onions are succulent and they work perfectly in a French onion soup recipe.
This classic French onion soup is quite easy to make and if you are looking for a recipe for outdoor grilled vegetables that you can use to make a delicious soup, this recipe is well worth a try. It is baked in the oven at the end to make the soup bubby and melt the cheese. The traditional recipe for French onion soup calls for caramelized onions, which are onions sliced and then cooked slowly in butter. Grilling the onions actually gives them a similar texture and flavor and brings out their natural sweetness and juiciness, so if you want to make a grilled onion soup recipe and you like classic French onion soup, you will be very pleased with this.
The beef broth, sherry, and butter are all typical French onion soup ingredients, whether you are making a grilled onion soup or a traditional French onion soup recipe. The Monterey Jack cheese and parmesan replace the Gruyere used in the original recipe but they go very nicely with the overall soup flavor. The chicken broth also is not used in the traditional recipe but it lightens up the meaty flavor and adds a nice taste to this grilled soup recipe.
- 6 onions
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1 can chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 small slices French bread
- Grated parmesan
- 8 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Peel the onions and slice ¼ inch off the stem end to make a stable base.
- Put each onion on its stem end on a square of aluminum foil.
- Cut through the centre of each onion and then make a cut above and below it so you have whole onions with 3 horizontal cuts through them.
- Spread the cuts open a bit and put ⅓ tablespoon of butter into each cut.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the onions and wrap the foil up tightly.
- Poke a few holes in the foil with a fork and grill them on a medium grill for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Unfold the packets. If the onions are slightly browned and quite soft, they are done.
- Cut the onions into rings and add them to a big pot with the broth and garlic.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then turn it down and let it simmer so the flavors merge.
- Add the sherry and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread and sprinkle the parmesan on top.
- Ladle the soup into 4 ovenproof bowls and float 3 pieces of toast in each bowl.
- Sprinkle the toast with the Monterey jack cheese and bake it at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes until the cheese is slightly browned and the soup is bubbly.
- Garnish with some fresh parsley and serve right away.
As you can see from the photo, this is a classic-looking French onion soup, complete with a rich brown colored soup base, delicious croutons with cheese and even a sprig of parsley for garnish. If you enjoy traditional French onion soup recipes, you will also like this grilled French onion soup recipe because the flavors are authentic and the onions will be extra juicy because of the grilling. If you enjoy making easy grilled vegetable recipes, this is one, which is suitable for any time of the year and any occasion.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358235 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90948 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)