French Onion Soup Recipes Using Beef Broth
This recipe is packed with flavor and it uses celeriac, which is celery root, for extra taste. The roasted garlic is used to make garlic butter, which is great with the bread and the French onion soup cheese.
There are quite a few ingredients in the following onion soup recipe but they all go together amazingly to make a really flavorful onion soup. There are many recipes using beef broth but this soup recipe uses both beef broth and vegetable broth for a meaty yet wholesome flavor.
When making French onion soup recipes using beef broth, you can either follow a beef broth recipe or make your own or used canned beef broth to save time. Homemade beef broth has a superior flavor and is very easy to make too. If you are going to use a canned beef broth, pick something low in sodium because a lot of commercial beef broths are very salty.
Beef broth is one of the main ingredients in the traditional French onion soup recipe, because its richness supports the sweetness of the caramelized onions and goes with the thyme flavor. For this reason, you will find it in many recipes for onion soup, although when cooking for vegetarians you can switch it for vegetable broth.
- 1 head garlic
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 chopped celeriac
- 3 chopped sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Cajun seasoning, to taste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced and toasted
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice the top off the garlic bulb and sprinkle a teaspoon of olive oil over it, then season with salt. Wrap it loosely in foil and bake until the cloves are very soft. This will take about 45 minutes.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves into a small bowl and mix with ½ cup of the softened butter to make garlic butter.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in a big pot over a medium heat and add the rest of the butter to it. Stir in the celeriac and onions and sauté until the onions are starting to brown. Turn the heat down to low and add the wine, beef broth, and vegetable broth.
- Season the soup with parsley, paprika, and Cajun seasoning.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for an hour, stirring a few times.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Spread the garlic butter over the toasted bread and ladle the soup into bowls.
- Put the bowls on a baking sheet and put one slice of bread on top of the soup in each bowl.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve the soup with the remaining garlic bread.
This French onion soup is finished off in the classic style, with a cheese-covered crouton, but underneath the creamy cheesiness lies a far different flavor to what you might expect. Lived up with Cajun seasoning and paprika, and fortified with celeriac, this recipe is a far cry from the traditional one, but it is just as good. In fact if you fancy a change and you enjoy unusual dishes, you could even say it is better. Cajun cooking meets French cuisine in this fusion dish which offers the best of both worlds.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357625 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)