The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
This French onion soup recipe combines some Tuscan flavors like wine and pancetta with the classic French onion soup ingredients. Tuscan cooks like to make soups and in fact, they make more soups than pasta. Bread is often used in Tuscan soup recipes and is placed in the bowl either before the soup is added or used as a thickener.
If you want to make the best French onion soup, recipe this one is extremely good. The pancetta and wine add a rich flavor to the dish and the classic ingredients of beef broth, onions, bread, and cheese bring a gourmet touch of France to your table as well.
The fresh lemon juice in this French onion soup recipe adds a sharp tang and the cheese is a nice topping. You can use a different type of cheese if you prefer, like Emmental, Gruyere, or something similar. Just throw the grated cheese on top of the soup and it will melt a little when it touches the hot liquid and you can use as much cheese as you want to. Lots of the best French onion soup recipes feature a big crouton with the cheese on top but you can serve the bread as croutons and the cheese grated instead of broiled and melted, like in this recipe, if you like.
- 5 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 5 ½ cups hot beef broth
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ lb pancetta, diced
- 5 slices bread, ½ inch thick
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, to garnish
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil over a medium high heat in a big pot and add the pancetta.
- Cook it for 2 minutes then add the onions, cover the pot and let them cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the lemon juice and let it evaporate.
- Add the wine and broth and stir well.
- Cover the pot and let the onion soup simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Pour the rest of the olive oil into a skillet and brown the bread on both sides, then drain it on paper towels.
- Put 1 slice of toast into each serving bowl and cut the other one into cubes to make croutons.
- Pour the soup over the bread and top each bowl of onion soup with some croutons, a handful of cheese and a sprig of parsley.
This is one of the best French onion soup recipes to make if you want something meaty, rich, and well balanced. You can alter the ingredients a little if you want to, perhaps replacing the beef broth with chicken broth for a lighter flavor or using a different type of cheese or bread. The caramelized onions are the main ingredient in French onion soup and this soup has plenty of onions with red wine, lemon juice and pancetta to add other elements to the overall soup flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357931 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)