The Easiest of Our Quick French Onion Soup Recipes
If you are in a rush but you still fancy a bowl of delicious, warming French onion soup, the following recipe is ideal for you. With only six ingredients excluding the croutons, this soup is very simple to make. Allow about forty minutes for the onions to caramelize properly but after that step you simply need to add the other ingredients and give it a stir.
Start to make the cheese croutons when the onions are nearing the end of their caramelization and then everything will be ready at the same time. You can either use toasted bread slices with sliced cheese on top or throw some grated cheese over some toasted bread and broil the whole lot until the cheese melts over the soup in the typical French onion soup style.
You can use either homemade beef stock or beef bouillon or cans in this recipe. If you are using commercial beef broth or bouillon, make sure it is a low sodium variety because broth tends to be salty and too much salt can ruin the flavor of quick French onion soup recipes. Although this is a quick and easy recipe, you will be pleasantly surprised how good it is. Sometimes it is nice to make the onion the star of the dish, because onion is usually used to back up the main ingredient instead of actually being at the forefront of a recipe.
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 pints beef broth
- 6 yellow onions
- 1 cup red wine
- 6 slices French bread
- 6 slices gruyere cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice the onions, garlic, and sauté them with the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- Stir them often and keep cooking until the onion is soft and brown.
- This takes roughly 20 minutes.
- Put the cheese on the toasted bread and broil it until the cheese melts.
- Add the red wine, broth, thyme and bay leaves to the onions, bring the mixture to the boil and then serve it in soup crocks, topped with the cheese toasts.
You cannot go wrong with French onion soup because it is rich, tasty and everyone likes onions. Making this recipe does not take long. It can be done within half an hour. This means if you get home late and you are hungry, this only takes half an hour to put together and then you can relax with your dinner. French onion soup is satisfying because it is so meaty and rich, and the Gruyère crouton finishes it off and gives it comfort food appeal. You can see in the picture how effortlessly elegant French onion soup is.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358028 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)