Grilled Onion Soup with Thyme
This delicious onion soup recipe relies on the wonderful flavor of grilled onions, thyme, wine, a bay leaf and more. The thyme goes beautifully with the onion and it is an herb often used in onion soup recipes. If you do not have skewers, you can use a vegetable grill basket and spread the onion rings out inside there. The results are very similar. Also, feel free to substitute dry sherry for the wine if you prefer the flavor.
This onion soup recipe serves two people as a main dish or four as an appetizer. You can serve some extra thyme on the side if you like, as a garnish. This is one of the nicest looking grilled vegetable soup recipes. Some vegetable soups are creamy or very thick and it is hard to see what is in them but this is a clear soup so you can see the delicious onion rings, ciabatta croutons, thyme, and everything else in the soup, making it look appealing and delicious.
If you enjoy French onion soup, you will enjoy this dish because it is quite similar to the original French onion soup recipe in some ways. The ciabatta makes light, airy croutons and the dry white wine gives the soup a gourmet taste. This is a delicious soup for any time of the year and it is especially nice as an appetizer because its lightness keeps it from being too filling and it goes wonderfully before any type of entree.
- 1 lb yellow onions, halved and cut into ½ inch rounds
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Half a ciabatta loaf, cut into ½ inch cubes
- Wooden skewers
- Soak the skewers for half an hour and then thread the onion slices on to them.
- Brush with olive oil all over and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over a medium heat, turning them once, until they are tender but not too soft.
- Melt the butter in a 5 quart pot over a low heat and add the onions, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Cook until the onions are extremely soft. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, turn the heat up, and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the water and bouillon and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes so the flavors can blend nicely.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to a broil and put a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Put the bread on a baking trap on the rack and toast for a few minutes until it is crispy.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme from the soup and discard them.
- Serve the soup with the croutons on top.
As you can see from the picture this onion soup recipe looks really tasty. If you enjoy the sweet juiciness of grilled onions you will enjoy this onion soup recipe very much, as will anybody else you serve it to. This delicious onion soup is warming and makes an enjoyable lunch (perhaps make extra croutons if it is for lunch!) or appetizer. This is one of the tastiest grilled soups and you grill the onions on a skewer so you can rotate it as often as you need to, in order to brown them evenly. If the onions spin on the skewers, simply stick two skewers through them instead of one.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (357623 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195561 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52603 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29439 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23568 Views)