Classic Baked Potato Soup with Bacon, Cheese Recipe
This wonderful baked potato soup recipe is reminiscent of a big, fat baked potato, generously topped with sour cream, cheese, and bacon. If you love baked potatoes, then you will love this exciting take on them. Transforming the humble baked potato into a winter warmer of a potato soup, this recipe features Cheddar cheese, green onions, bacon, sour cream, chives, and everything else which makes baked potatoes great. The only difference is you will be eating this one with a spoon and not a fork.
The potatoes are baked and then mashed, and the sour cream and milk give the soup a luxuriously thick consistency. The cheese and bacon garnish is especially flavorful and also looks attractive. Make sure you choose an extra-sharp Cheddar for the best results. Anybody who loves baked potatoes will be enchanted by this delicious baked potato soup, because it is so thick and richly flavored.
Whether you have some leftover baked potatoes to use up, or even some mashed ones, this soup is very nice. If you have leftover mashed potatoes which have been mashed with butter, cream or milk, then you might need to cut a little cream or milk out of the recipe, to make up for the fact the potatoes are already very loose and soft.
Amazing Bacon, Cheddar, and Potato Soup
Summary: This creamy soup looks very elegant because of its cheese, chive and bacon topping. The soup itself is cheesy, creamy and flavorful. Serve this with crusty bread for lunch or for an evening meal. It is a fantastic way to use baked potatoes.
- 2½ lbs baking potatoes
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 5 cooked, crumbled bacon slices
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 oz all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 8 fresh chives, each chopped into 3
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork and bake for 1 hour or until tender.
- Let them cool, then peel and coarsely mash.
- Put the flour in a big pot and slowly add the milk, whisking until blended.
- Cook this mixture over a medium heat for 8 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Add the mashed potatoes, ¾ cup of the cheese, some salt and pepper, stirring until the cheese melts.
- Take the pot off the heat.
- Stir in the onions and sour cream, and cook for 10 minutes over a low heat.
- Do not let the soup boil.
- Ladle the soup into 8 serving bowls.
- Arrange the remaining cheese in the center, followed by the crispy bacon.
- Garnish each one with a chive.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
This decadently sinful baked potato soup recipe is so simple to put together but so delicious. Canned soups never taste as good as this and when you can make your own baked potato soup recipes so easily, there is no point in using a canned soup anyway. As the picture shows, the bacon, cheese and chive garnish looks elegant, and you could even add some sliced green onion if you like. This soup is thick and rich, so serve it alone or with some crusty bread if you prefer. This makes a delicious lunch or a light supper.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Simple Chicken Stew Recipe in a Crock Pot
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best French Onion Soup Tuscan Style
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Easy 5 Ingredient Cream of Asparagus Soup
- An Old Fashioned Oxtail Stew Recipe
- Mixed Seafood Chowder with Crumbled Bacon
- Easy Recipe for How to Make Rabbit Stew
- Czech Potato Soup with Mushrooms
- Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
- Insider Secrets to Storing Onions
- What to Serve with Beef Stew
- What to Do With Stew Meat Besides Stew
- How to Thicken Potato Soup
- How to Caramelize Onions Like a Pro
- Can I Use New York Strip Steak for Stew?
- Five Common French Onion Soup Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Brown Stew Meat
- How Long is Potato Soup Good?
- The History of Onion Soup - The History of French Onion Soup
- What Makes Clam Chowder Recipes So Wonderfully Unique November 21, 2013
- Chicken and Noodles Recipe November 20, 2013
- Simple Chicken Soup Recipe November 18, 2013
- Clam Chowder Wars November 16, 2013
- How to Make Dumplings November 15, 2013
- Budget Crockpot Recipes November 12, 2013
- Fish Soup Recipe November 8, 2013
- Alphabet Soup Recipe November 7, 2013
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe November 7, 2013
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (77443 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (44242 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (37810 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (26914 Views)
- Home (25013 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (17948 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (17503 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (17024 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (11160 Views)
- Vibrant Orange and Carrot Soup (9262 Views)