Creamy Loaded Baked Potato Soup with Cheese and Bacon
We all love a good baked potato and are there any better way to enjoy one then fully loaded with all the stuff you can pile on top. I mean remove any one of the toppings and it seems like something is missing. I mean what do you remove the sour cream I think not, the bacon absolutely positively not! Under penalty of death in this house. I mean don’t mess with my hug. Ok so what’s left chive Nah., cheese oh not in this neck of the woods. And there is no way you can get rid of the potato itself or it’s not a baked potato in the first place.
So why should our potato soup be any different? I mean if all those things are absolute a must in a baked potato why should soup have them excluded from the culinary menu. So with that in mind I set out to take potato soup in a whole new direction. I wanted all the things we love so much in a good baked potato to be present in this soup and I think I have meld it into a winning combination. I mean if you look at the ingredients it is all there from the cheese to the bacon.
What I end up with was a soup that has all the character of a baked potato in a soup form. Now if there is one thing we all love isn’t it soup. It is the perfect lunch companion it balances out those cold winter days with taking an otherwise cold lunch and infusing warmth into it so we can feel warm inside ourselves. Now I don’t know about you but I like my soup thick and that is the aim of this soup is a wonderful thick and cream soup that is just as good as eating a baked potato without all the chewing. So I hope you like this one and enjoy it with some nice crusty bread to help clean the bowl when you get to the bottom.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes,
- 8 bacon slices, thick cut
- 6 cups half-and-half
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 cup sour cream, Cabot works well
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded ½ cup reserved
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup chive
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for tossing
- Quarter the potatoes and then the quarters in half
- Place half of them in a glass bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary and some granulated garlic and place into a preheated 400 degree F. oven in a shallow roasting pan and cook for about 45 minutes or until tender tossing every 15 minutes.
- In a stock pot bring salted water to a boil and boil the remaining potatoes until a fork goes into them easily.
- Drain and mash them in a glass bowl.
- Slice the bacon into ¼ inch piece and fry in a deep skillet until semi crisp and reserve the grease.
- Over a medium high heat slowly stir with a whisk the flour into the hot grease stirring it continuously so it doesn't burn, cook until a medium brown then slowly stir in the half-and-half stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Return the stockpot to the stove, to this combine the mashed potatoes and the milk mixture and blend well with a hand blender.
- Simmer on low heat.
- Add to this the sour cream, green onion, ½ cup cheddar cheese, stir well.
- Remove the roasted potatoes from the oven and add them to the soup.
- Simmer until thick and heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with some cheese, bacon and chive and serve with crusty bread
Today I serve up a soup that is not only great tasting but incredible to look at too. It puts all the elements of a baked potato into a bowl of soup and carries off the things we love about the look of a baked potato stacked with all its toppings and presents a bowl of soup that you just want to peel away the tinfoil from and dig into dressing up your hot from the oven baked potato. Sometimes food is as much about the presentation as how yummy it is and this is just such a recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358414 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90948 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41063 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26481 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)