Simple Potato Soup Recipe
Rustic Style Potato Soup with Cheddar
If you are looking for a delicious winter warmer, this recipe is perfect. Not only do you get the delicious flavor of potato, but you can also enjoy the rich cheesiness and creaminess, which boosts the comfort food appeal. Like our other potato soup recipes, this one is also very simple, and anyone can master it, whether you happen to be a beginner cook or a seasoned chef. Making potato soup is something a lot of home cooks do often, once they figure out it is really easy, and an economical dish as well.
The whole family will love this one. Kids love anything creamy and cheesy and the grownups will appreciate its wonderful aroma and flavor. Serve this with some bread for soaking up every last bit of the soup. Another idea is to sprinkle some croutons on top. Although this is a fall or winter type soup, it is also nice during any time of the year. You do not have to feel under the weather or be somewhere cold to crave potato soup, and even if it is a warm day, this still makes a lovely lunch or dinner.
This rustic recipe features milk, butter, green onions and Cheddar cheese, in addition to the potatoes. We have chosen to keep the ingredients simple here, so you can really enjoy the potato and Cheddar flavors. Green onion goes so well with potato and cheese; it would be a pity not to include it. Feel free to use regular onion if you do not have green onion. Also, use margarine and skim milk instead of butter and full-fat milk, if you are looking for a lighter way to make this. Reduced-fat cheese would be another option for the dieter. Although the ingredients list might appear sparse, this is a full-flavored soup and it really does not need any other ingredients. Taste it and you will see!
- 3 cups water
- 2 lbs unpeeled russet potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1½ cups (6 oz) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 5 finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot then add the potatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 6 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and reserve 2 cups of them.
- Put the rest of the potatoes (about 3 cups) in the blender with 1 cup of milk and puree until smooth.
- You might need to add a bit more milk.
- Return this puree to the cooking pot.
- Add the remaining milk, reserved potatoes, butter, salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the cheese and green onions.
- Cook for 8 minutes over a moderate heat, stirring often, until the cheese is melted.
- Divide between 4 serving bowls and serve immediately.
You might think you do not want your bowl filled quite as full as the bowl in the photo but, then again, once you have tasted this magnificent cheese and potato soup, it will be hard to resist a second helping, or at least a generous first portion! You can see the yellow color of this soup, and that comes largely from the cheese. If you use white Cheddar, the color will be paler of course. Cheese adds a nice texture to soup, thickening it and adding interest. You can also see the green onion. If you like, add two-thirds of the cheese and onion to the soup, and use the remainder as a garnish on top of the soup. In the photo, the potatoes are not peeled – you can see the skin. But you may peel yours if you prefer.
Photo Credit: Cream of potato cheese soup by Ned Raggett, on Flickr
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358055 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52604 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23570 Views)