How to Make the Best Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Adding wine to potato soup gives it a great flavor. The wine will sizzle in the pan and you can imagine how wonderful the kitchen is going to smell when you make this. For an extra sizzle, turn the heat up a little just before adding the wine, and then turn it back down when the wine has finished reducing.
Feel free to add three quarters of a cup of heavy cream to this potato soup recipe for a creamy finish. You can also liquidize the soup in the blender, or in a food processor, if you want a creamy smooth soup but this is optional. Some people like creamy potato soup recipes and others enjoy the texture of the chopped vegetables in the soup.
This potato soup recipe with wine will freeze so make the whole amount, even if you are not feeding so many people. You could always double it too, if you want to make freezer soup. Use a dry white wine for this potato soup recipe. If you prefer to use sherry, pick a dry variety.
- 2 potatoes
- 6 trimmed leeks
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 pints chicken stock
- 2 peeled, chopped carrots
- Fresh parsley or chives, to garnish
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 big red onion or 2 small ones
- Salt and black pepper
- Rinse the leeks. Chop the onion and leeks finely. Peel and finely cube the potatoes. Peel and chop the garlic.
- If you are using bouillon cubes to make the stock, dissolve them in hot water.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a pan over a moderate heat. Sauté the leeks and onions for a few minutes. Do not let them brown. Add the wine and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, garlic, and stock. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook the potato soup recipe for 25 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Take the pan off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes in cold water. Taste the soup, then add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Warm the soup back up for 2 minutes. Divide the soup between 6 or 8 warmed bowls and garnish with the chopped herbs.
This colorful and appetizing soup is healthy and warming. Featuring nutritious ingredients like carrots, garlic, potatoes and onion, this potato soup recipe also boasts the generous addition of white wine, which enhances its overall flavor and makes it a suitable dish for either an appetizer or an entree. The fact that this potato soup recipe freezes well also means you can freeze it in separate portions and thaw it out easily on a chilly evening when you do not feel like cooking. Just warm it up in a pan over a moderate heat, stirring frequently, until it is hot, and then serve with crusty bread and butter.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358094 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90946 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52604 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41062 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26479 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23571 Views)