Butternut Squash and Potato Soup Recipe
If you like potato soup and butternut squash soup, why not blend these two flavors and make this delicious potato and butternut squash soup recipe? The squash is grilled, giving the finished soup a delicate smoky flavor. Easy grilled vegetable recipes do not get much easier than this wonderful squash and potato soup recipe.
If you are unfamiliar with squash, try grilling it because it tastes way nicer than roasted or boiled squash and this butternut soup is so good. Grilled vegetables are ideal ingredients for soup recipes and this butternut squash soup recipe is likely to become one of your favorites because of its wonderful flavor and because it is so simple to create.
You can see the soup recipe calls for a chopped chili pepper and this is going to add a touch of spice. If you do not want to use it there is no reason you have to, but if you do want a hint of piquant flavor then it is worth including it. Base this soup on either chicken bouillon or vegetable bouillon. The flavor will be slightly different depending which you go for, as will the end color of the soup.
Most vegetable bouillons are darker (and more green) than chicken ones, so it is just down to personal preference, or you can use whichever you have in the cupboard. Some fresh basil makes a nice garnish, or you can use parsley, cilantro or even chives if you prefer, since the herbs are just to add a splash of color.
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- Extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup light cream
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Halve the squash and take the seeds out. Rub the olive oil down the squash flesh and season it with salt and black pepper. Grill the squash cut side down for 20 minutes.
- Flip the pieces over and give it another 15 minutes. When the squash is fork tender, remove it from the grill and let it cool.
- Scoop out the flesh and set it aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the jalapeño and onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, squash, bouillon and bay leaf, bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and put the soup in the blender, in batches, to make it smooth.
- Use the pulse setting and only fill it halfway because the soup is hot.
- Stir in ½ cup of the cream and adjust the seasonings.
- Garnish each bowl with the rest of the cream and some fresh basil.
A Picture of our Butternut Squash and Potato Soup Recipe – features wonderfully freshly grilled butternut squash you could even grill the potatoes for an extra special grilled flavor then puree the soup this is a great soup for a hot summer’s day dinner.
Leave a Reply
- Caribbean Chicken Soup Recipe October 22, 2014
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Barley October 21, 2014
- Colorful Chicken and Bell Pepper Soup October 20, 2014
- Chicken and White Bean Soup October 16, 2014
- Aromatic Hot and Sour Chicken Soup October 15, 2014
- Cajun Chicken Soup with Black Beans and Sausage October 14, 2014
- Chunky Chicken and Couscous Soup October 13, 2014
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (82672 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53588 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47898 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (32527 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (20337 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19072 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18730 Views)
- Stew Articles (13823 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12825 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (12117 Views)