Cream of Asparagus Potato Soup with Broccoli
This is a creamy potato soup recipe which includes asparagus and broccoli, to give it plenty of nutrients and flavor. Potatoes are often combined with green vegetables in potato soup recipes and, whether you go for asparagus and broccoli like in this recipe, cabbage, peas, green beans, or another kind of vegetable, you can be sure the potato flavor will complement the flavor of whichever veggies you want to use. The following recipe makes use of sour cream, milk, and shredded cheese, to give the soup a rich, creamy, and luxurious texture.
The cayenne pepper spices the soup up a little. You only need a pinch but feel free to use more if you want a spicier result. The chicken broth can be swapped for vegetable broth if you want a vegetarian soup. The color will be darker but the flavor will be nice. It is usually possible to convert potato soup recipes into vegetarian varieties. After all, the main ingredient is potatoes, and they are a vegetable. Chicken, beef, or lamb stock can add a rich meatiness but you can get nice results using vegetable broth, wine or a combination of aromatic herbs.
Asparagus is a seasonal vegetable. If you cannot find fresh asparagus you can use canned, but it should be added at the end with the cheddar cheese because it is already very soft and just needs to warm up. This is a very simple potato soup recipe to make and it is suitable for beginner cooks, since you can make the soup from start to finish in one pot, and there is nothing complicated you have to do.
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup asparagus, in 1 inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 2 cups milk
- ? cup sour cream
- 8 oz diced red potatoes
- 14 ½ oz can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 seeded, chopped tomato
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- ¼ tsp salt
- ? tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil in a pot and sauté the onion over a moderate heat until tender.
- Add the flour and stir.
- Add the broccoli, asparagus, milk, potatoes, broth, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat up to high and cook until thick and bubbling.
- Stir the soup often.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato, sour cream, and cheese and simmer until the cheese melts.
This is a thick and creamy potato soup recipe, and the addition of cheddar cheese gives it even more thickness. If you enjoy cheese in your vegetable soup recipes, you might like the flavor and texture of this asparagus and potato soup. It is really warming and flavorful. As you can see from the picture, this is an appealing soup which has plenty of color and texture. Garnishes such as croutons and fresh herbs are not needed on this soup unless you especially want to add them, because this chunky soup has plenty of texture and visual appeal already.
Leave a Reply
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Barley October 21, 2014
- Colorful Chicken and Bell Pepper Soup October 20, 2014
- Chicken and White Bean Soup October 16, 2014
- Aromatic Hot and Sour Chicken Soup October 15, 2014
- Cajun Chicken Soup with Black Beans and Sausage October 14, 2014
- Chunky Chicken and Couscous Soup October 13, 2014
- Best Beef Barley Soup Recipe October 8, 2014
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (82665 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (53587 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (47896 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (32524 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (20334 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup (19071 Views)
- Mexican Recipe for Taco Soup with Cilantro (18728 Views)
- Stew Articles (13822 Views)
- Different Types of Onions – A Complete Glossary (12824 Views)
- Pumpkin Soup Articles (12116 Views)