Cream of Asparagus Potato Soup with Broccoli
This is a creamy potato soup recipe which includes asparagus and broccoli, to give it plenty of nutrients and flavor. Potatoes are often combined with green vegetables in potato soup recipes and, whether you go for asparagus and broccoli like in this recipe, cabbage, peas, green beans, or another kind of vegetable, you can be sure the potato flavor will complement the flavor of whichever veggies you want to use. The following recipe makes use of sour cream, milk, and shredded cheese, to give the soup a rich, creamy, and luxurious texture.
The cayenne pepper spices the soup up a little. You only need a pinch but feel free to use more if you want a spicier result. The chicken broth can be swapped for vegetable broth if you want a vegetarian soup. The color will be darker but the flavor will be nice. It is usually possible to convert potato soup recipes into vegetarian varieties. After all, the main ingredient is potatoes, and they are a vegetable. Chicken, beef, or lamb stock can add a rich meatiness but you can get nice results using vegetable broth, wine or a combination of aromatic herbs.
Asparagus is a seasonal vegetable. If you cannot find fresh asparagus you can use canned, but it should be added at the end with the cheddar cheese because it is already very soft and just needs to warm up. This is a very simple potato soup recipe to make and it is suitable for beginner cooks, since you can make the soup from start to finish in one pot, and there is nothing complicated you have to do.
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup asparagus, in 1 inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 2 cups milk
- ? cup sour cream
- 8 oz diced red potatoes
- 14 ½ oz can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 seeded, chopped tomato
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- ¼ tsp salt
- ? tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil in a pot and sauté the onion over a moderate heat until tender.
- Add the flour and stir.
- Add the broccoli, asparagus, milk, potatoes, broth, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat up to high and cook until thick and bubbling.
- Stir the soup often.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato, sour cream, and cheese and simmer until the cheese melts.
This is a thick and creamy potato soup recipe, and the addition of cheddar cheese gives it even more thickness. If you enjoy cheese in your vegetable soup recipes, you might like the flavor and texture of this asparagus and potato soup. It is really warming and flavorful. As you can see from the picture, this is an appealing soup which has plenty of color and texture. Garnishes such as croutons and fresh herbs are not needed on this soup unless you especially want to add them, because this chunky soup has plenty of texture and visual appeal already.
Leave a Reply
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Butter Bean and Toulouse Sausage Ragout March 16, 2016
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195198 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (88891 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54481 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (51868 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40575 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (40107 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (28050 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (25907 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (22899 Views)
- Grilled Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (22126 Views)