Creole-Spiced White Asparagus Soup
White asparagus is grown in the dark, not unlike forced rhubarb. Its lack of chlorophyll is the main biological difference between white and green asparagus but depriving it of sunlight also gives it a unique, delicate flavor. Spring is the time to make white asparagus recipes because that is when you can get it fresh. The grassy flavors in asparagus make it worth buying for asparagus soup recipes. It has a dainty flavor and is easy to use.
When buying white asparagus, squeeze the ends gently. If you see droplets, the asparagus is fresh. If not, it might be dried out. Some white asparagus is crooked and this tends to cost less, since it is harder to peel. Thick spears are easier to peel and you will get more asparagus after peeling it. Do not keep your white asparagus for more than a couple of days after buying it. Store it in damp kitchen towel in your refrigerator’s vegetable drawer and handle it carefully, so as not to break it.
White asparagus is not as bendy as its green cousin is and it can easily snap, just below the tip. If you break it, you will need to reserve it for stock or soup recipes rather than serving it as a side dish – you need near-perfect spears for that. The following recipe shows you how to make a delicious soup with this healthy vegetable, and flavor it gently with some Creole seasoning and nutmeg. This recipe serves four as an entree or six as an appetizer.
- 1 lb peeled white asparagus, in 1 inch pieces
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- ¾ teaspoon Creole seasoning
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chopped, de-seeded peeled tomato
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Ground nutmeg, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley and croutons, for garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter in a pot over a moderately low heat.
- Add the onions and sauté them for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the potato, asparagus, tomato, broth, bay leaf, thyme, sugar, and Creole seasoning and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Cover and cook until the potatoes are soft. Remove the bay leaf.
- Puree the soup in the blender, in batches. Add the nutmeg and cream and warm through.
- Garnish with croutons and fresh parsley, if you like.
This exciting Creole spice-flavored white asparagus soup recipe has a dainty, tantalizing taste. It is one of the best ways to use white asparagus. If you have missed the white asparagus season, you can use green asparagus in its place. The soup will be slightly darker in color but the flavor will still be nice. This recipe is not difficult and, like with many asparagus soup recipes, the soup is pureed in a blender and served thick and smooth, with a texture like velvet. You can garnish this soup with parsley and croutons if you like, or simply serve it plain, with some warm crusty bread slices.
Leave a Reply
- Amazing Tomato and Vegetable Soup May 9, 2016
- Pot Roast Soup or is It Stew April 26, 2016
- Beer Cheese Soup with Brats and Cheddar April 19, 2016
- Italian Wedding Soup with Ditalini Noodles April 6, 2016
- Parmesan Chipotle Black Bean Soup with Guacamole April 3, 2016
- Fire Roasted Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup March 31, 2016
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot Ham and Split Pea Soup March 28, 2016
- Crockpot Irish Beef Stew Recipe with Guinness March 24, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon March 20, 2016
- Cream of Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon (358415 Views)
- Extra Spicy Chicken Soup (195562 Views)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew and Herb Dumplings (90948 Views)
- Onion Soup Articles (54668 Views)
- Rich and Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe (52606 Views)
- Crockpot Corn Chowder (41063 Views)
- Healthy Crockpot Bean Soup (40865 Views)
- Crockpot Chicken Stew with Mushrooms and White Wine (29440 Views)
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup (26481 Views)
- Grilled Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chive (23574 Views)